1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

ILikeCheating Mod Instability.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wreth, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The creator of the ILikeCheating mod has said about it.

''there was a bug in it that was causing worlds to be partially corrupted and cause client side crashes (and I haven't fixed it yet)''

Considering this is exactly what has been having on this server is stands to reason that the ILC mod has been causing the recent crashes and general server instability.

Even if it is not the cause of these specific problems we know for a fact that it is causing problems if the mod creator himself said it does.

Everyone should stop using the mod and we can see if stability returns.

In my opinion the Staff should officially ban any version of the mod, at least for now.

Most Starbound servers are not having these problems, only Antares and Orion's Edge seem to be having issues and they are both the two who's users are most aware of and most likely to use the ILC mod.

If you need to spawn items in you can use admin mode in singleplayer, it is less convenient but it is better than constant crashing.

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I think we should at least try removing ILC from our mod folders for now and see if stability will return. If we need to spawn in items we'll have to use starcheat or singeplayer commands in singeplayer. Inconvenient as it may seem to builders, we should at least see if we can fix the server stability issues because they're killing our RP and the next update is still far away, nor is there an ILC fix date.

3. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

ILC is going to be made private I heard. It can be fixed, though. I'd try to find another solution before outright banning it, which i doubt will happen anyways.

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Even if it is made private there will be pre-private versions floating around that different people have saved.

If you have another solution we are all ears but just saying ''Find another solution'' is not helpful.

I'd rather have a stable server than the slight inconvenience of not being able to spawn things in as easily, and I think a lot of other people would too.

5. CaptainBritton02

Yeah until it's banned I'm still not getting rid of it though. That or you find another spawning mod that works.

6. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Until further notice use of ilc on server is disallowed.

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Thanks, even if this doesn't work at least we can rule out a cause.

Might be worth trying to RP on previously unvisited planets to see if only planets that have already have previously had ILC used on them still cause issues even after everyone gets rid of the mod. As I have not being using the mod since before the recent issues started and still experience the crashes, it's possible that the problem permanently causes problems on a world for everyone who goes there, once the mod has been used there.

8. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Is skyrail sits still okay though? That's all I use ilc for, and it's very useful.

9. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

There's a skyrail sits mod all on it's own.

You can find it in the approved mods section.

10. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

That's what I meant, is that still okay? Because ILC has that combined within it.

11. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

AFAIK it's just ILC that's unstable.

12. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Skyrail Sits causes no problems that we have seen and introduces no custom assets, so yes, it should still be fine.

13. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

I've built an entire colony using ILC, Valius, and it hasn't crashed in the manner you mentioned a single time.

Places like Katune don't experience this crash either, and it's ALSO built entirely with ILC.

I don't think there's enough evidence to ban the mod.

Just my opinion though, and this mod makes RP a LOT easier... I think we should at least do some more rigorous testing before we ban something this widely used.

14. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I have built my fair share of locations and event worlds with it as well, none of which had been corrupted. However, when the author states there is an issue with the mod, that holds far more weight then assuming otherwise.

Kaz has expressed a desire to make a Antares mod to provide similar functionality for spawning in the future. I suggest people pester him about actually going through with it. Having something like this in house will avert alot of the hassle in the future.

Until then, do your spawning in SP, and remove the mod for MP. It's not that big of an issue.

15. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Privitisation hasn't been in the post mentioning the instability where the mod creator posted it. If simply one person gains access to the private bit, then everyone else will simply gains it as well. Privitisation works contraproductive for games like Starbound, shuts you off from the rest of the community.

16. Wreth

Wreth New Member

True but the creator of the ILC mod is an extremely petty individual who hates Antares.

17. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Yet, now a lot of people depend on him because of the mod. Funny how things go, eh?

18. ErinKeen

ErinKeen New Member

Why?

19. CaptainBritton02

He was banned for multiple reasons.

EDIT: I uh, am getting creative ratings. I'm kinda flattered considering someone could dislike or disagree.

EDIT OF MY EDIT: Thanks?

#19 CaptainBritton02, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  20. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Okay so I know this is an old subject but however it was a thought that cross my mind with the new [UNSTABLE] Pleased Giraffe Patch Notes that was release two days ago. I am not saying the ILC mod is not the problem. However could another problem be the some people are on the server using the Unstable version of Starbound and not the stable version? Would that not cause some issues with server instability as well?