1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

So we care so much about the chucklefish canon that we aren't willing to let it go and start over with no outside of sector entities? I mean this in a strictly OOC way...are we really that interested in chucklefish lore that we care about what's going on outside of the sector we inhabit as Players?

2. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I agree.
    Not directed to anyone in specific (as I've skimmed through a page or two), Though I think the best way to fix this issue we're seeing as players that could mess everything up is giving constructive criticism instead of stating what's been stated previously and complaining about it. Constructive criticism such as Alaystus's post on the bottom of page 5.
    I have no criticism to give, I'm no scientist or have any experience at predicting what could happen on a universal scale. Though I like what Alaystus had posted, and perhaps that can be worked with or used as is.

3. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Regardless of Chucklefish lore there is going to be homeworlds for the Avians, Apex and Florans (Humans and Hylotl have had their ravaged, Glitch live in their hivemind, and Novakids are Novakids). The effects of randomly displacing people across space and reverting everyone to the stone age (plus ships but eh) would set the tone of the entire server.

Plus, are we really going to tell new players that they cannot have their Apex escape the Miniknog because of some space time anomaly freed all the Apex of their oppressive regime? There are good things in the Chucklefish lore that can be used. I am simply asking if we are truly going with such a massive scale that this anomaly be something restricted to Antares or other closer sectors to reduce complications.

4. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

Perhaps going universal isn't a good idea considering everything that could come from it. Restricting it to be from another sector perhaps and slowly fade out after a while would be better. As in, the further the anomaly spreads, the more it begins to decay.

5. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

On the whole I think everyone is overthinking this way too much. The whole point of a celestial anomaly is that it's unpredictable, no one knows how it works, and no one could possibly ever know how it works for generations. However, the worry that it will reach homeworlds has a good point. Perhaps it stops growing after a time, and has a field which drags people into it if they get too close, like a black hole. Determining the field would be more or less impossible, since it could fluctuate, so new people who were remotely even in the vicinity could be dragged in. People could go and investigate, only to be pulled into it. Someone who could see it from their planet one week might find themselves being dragged into it the next. Overthinking it's just going to make it confusing and difficult, especially because it's an idea that requires a slip in how things work. I know people are capable of that, people here like the movie Gravity when it doesn't even follow the laws of gravity, and I would wager most people here like sci-fi movies in general despite 99% of them totally bullshitting any futuristic tech they have.

6. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

Actually, its VERY VERY SLOW. so it would probably take people slightly slowwer than reproduction. and the civilizations outside this new sector wouldn't matter anymore, because everyone would be trapped, like The Dome series, just alot bigger, people come in, and very few people go insane

7. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

The limited idea is fine. We cant have everyone in the known universe trapped inside this new place, so just Antaries is fine. Once again an explanation is extra, it could just have happened. So we either gotta accept an official explanation or just have it happen.

8. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

I say we just 'let it happen' and the stuff that comes with you is your stuff thats on you, and the stuff thats in your ship. its very very simple, litterly, people are stating the same stuff over and over about what should/shouldn't happen

9. Cassidy

Cassidy The Strudel

maybe we could go into a....
    alternate universe,
    where,
    florans act like humans, and everyone shoots each other on sight basically all the time.

10. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

I was previously under the impression that our new sector was basically trapped by the anomaly void surrounding it, and that this rearranged only part of the galaxy. I don't mind either way since the other sectors are not an issue for the most part.

My solution is simple:
    It's a time/space thing, so maybe it's just shunted us into a new galaxy, that way everyone gets what they want, the old galaxy is still there basically and people can still be caught and shot out to this new one by the anomaly if they enter the affected zones of the milky way.

11. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Galaxy Wide would pluck /everything/ up. Please keep it sector only.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439587123][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Beeecause you take a ton of Florans, Miniknog Apex, Humans, Flightless Avians, and stuff them all into one place? And you thought Antares had a homocide problem.

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I'll pass the idea off to rest of Staff.
    I won't be commenting on threads as frequently as I used to, in general.

13. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

why does it even matter if its galaxy or sector wide? either way, it will be the same IC.

14. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

Yes and no. While the difference between a galaxy-wide anomaly and a sector-wide anomaly may not directly affect any existing characters at first, there would be major effects in the long run.

First of all, it would directly affect any new players or characters. With a galaxy-wide anomaly, many backstories that may have been previously available are now impossible, since all new backstories would have to involve the Cosmic Anomaly. As I said before, any new characters entering the sector would be refugees. They would either be transported directly into the sector, or transported somewhere nearby and search until they miraculously find us.

There are many new options that the Anomaly brings, such as people going to investigate the anomaly, and being transported here. People being imprisoned, suddenly sprung. Someone who was whisked away from their family, or someone who was sleeping suddenly waking up in the middle of a forest. However, there are also many options the Anomaly takes away. For instance, there would be no explorers trying to chart new stars, or people trying to get to a different sector, but finding themselves in the middle of ours instead. There would be no travelers, no salespeople, no fugitives being chased. While you may argue, "But there will still be fugitives," (and you would be right,) the important part is that there would be no pursuers.

The Cosmic Anomaly doesn't just affect how we interact with each other,
    it affects how the rest of the galaxy is able to interact with us.

Even if the pursuers showed up, there'd nobody to go back to. There would be no outside forces that could affect our sector. After such time our characters right themselves, establish colonies, build cities, there would be no new influx of people to come here, other than those brought here by the anomaly. No-one can show up, saying, "I heard there was a new settlement out here." We can never trade with outside sources, never go to another sector to take time off. We can only interact with each other, using plots and powers that exist solely inside our sector.

So while the wipe will not change the fact that we have a clean slate, whether the Anomaly exists within a few sectors, or throughout the entire galaxy, it will affect how we role play on the server, most likely forever.

15. Corvus

Corvus New Member

I feel as if an important part of this entire idea, and I don't mean to be rude, is that it gets done. My advice would for an official forum person to take the various "forms" of the Cosmic Anomaly that could exist and put it up to vote in a separate thread.

16. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

That is a fair concern, really. Staff here is pretty notorious for starting stuff but never finishing, and we know it.
    I actually rather like SP3CT3R's idea though, where the anomaly doesn't grow, so much as just having fragments in certain areas such as parts of the Milky Way. That way people can still be sucked in, but not on a massive scale. It seems like a pretty splid compromise to me.

17. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I love it. It starts with a good attention grabber, drawing you in, making you curious about the yes and no answer. The thesis lays out clearly your position on the issue at hand. The first body paragraph puts in solid evidence to support your thesis, which is a requirement for a compelling writing piece. The second paragraph introduces more evidence and even counter-arguments. The third body paragraph, (Ignoring the bold text in the center, a blemish on an otherwise perfect work) Brings more evidence together and seals the arguments. The conclusion cleanly restates the thesis and wraps up the work. 10/10 would read again.

18. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

are you my english teacher

19. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Yes.

20. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

None of my paragraphs were indented. Anyway, the reason that sentence in particular was centered and bold was because if nothing else, that's what I wanted you to see. It was originally just bold in the paragraph. But I thought it needed some more attention, more power I guess. But I'm glad you thought it was a strong argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.