1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Floran Lisp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitzi the Floran, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Mitzi the Floran

Mitzi the Floran Sufferer of Prawnsequences

I don't get where the "Florans have to hiss" thing even comes from to be honest. Humans have lips and we don't even use them to produce the "S" Sound with our mouth. It's made by pressing your tongue against the roof of your mouth and forcing air through. It has nothing to do with lips at all. On the other hand actual letters that do use lips like the letters "B, M, P, and W" wouldn't necessarily be hard for them to pronounce because they still have the locking jaw necessary to simulate those sounds.

Try it yourself, fold your lips into your mouth and attempt to pronounce those letters, it's just almost as easy as doing so without lips.

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Florans are not required to lisp. It's just a common behaviourism they share.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439436190][/DOUBLEPOST]
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439436294][/DOUBLEPOST]No reason to reopen this issue. It's old news.

3. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

The hissing at this point in time is probably more of a... Preference, I guess. Lots of groups of people do things like that just because they can, especially when threatened, which more tribal Florans tend to be, considering they are always sizing up their strength to others. a "Common behaviorism" as Khaltor puts it is a good description.

4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Heck Tribal florans may even make fun of a Floran that doesn't hiss, so even if they "can" speak without a lisp, they may not want to. Unless they're not very tribal like Oak or exiled Florans. Remember, the player character Floran isn't in a tribe, they left for greater glory and to make friends. Nuru from the nightly says she's practiced to suppress her lisp, but "ssometimess sshe just can't help it!"
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439436538][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah, a definite NO on the requirement front.

5. Avis

Regardless, I still think it'd be fun to see it be more common. It gets boring when everyone tries to throw out the cool parts of a race just because they want to be 'different'.

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Like how Rezima etc doesn't like the fact that some Florans can manipulate plants to the extent that allows them to shape their homes over time, and create weapons from them?

What was that about throwing out the cool parts of a race?

7. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I always considered it something like this.

Plants are made of cellulose which makes their "skin" harder or comparable to, well, plants. So they are generally made of harder plant stuff and full of sap compared to humans who are skin sacks of blood. But to the point. A lisp can be caused by a variety of things. Specifically with how the tongue interacts with the palate. Or how the tongue is placed in general.

Snake humanoids are commonly portrayed as having a lisp due to their tongue protrusion, though there is no real science behind that aside from a severe case of inter-dental lisp, a type of lisp where 's' sounds become 'th' sounds due to the tongue protruding from the front and bottom row of teeth.

Florans could have an inter-dental lisp. I don't know what their tongues are like. They could also have a strident lisp, which is where a high pitched hissing sounds is made as an 's' when a stream of air touch the tongue between a hard surface, such as the (possible) outside of a floran's mouth should we consider my biological explanation.

Florans also don't have lips and I had a pretty hard time using my S's when my lips were folded into my mouth. In ventriloquism you can do S's without problem, but common people open their mouths. So from my trial, I still had hissed S's.

This isn't me denying a floran without a lisp, but they are points to consider after my round of google research and the short time in my embarrassing life when I did ventriloquism. I just wanted to clarify a bit about lisps.

8. Avis

If you have an issue, you can bring it up without throwing about passive aggressive remarks. Thank you.

9. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

It's not meant to be /that/ passive agressive, I just like to act overly dramatic at times. I'm not /that/ upset about it.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Yes yes and yes. All points are agreed upon. So we are all good on this thread. *moves on with a skip*

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

That's actually more of an entire staff opinion rather than just mine, and we are totally cool with homeshaping, the homeshaping thing is rad as hell. Gun farming is where we draw the line though.

Florans can encourage and guide the growth of plants, but usually at only about double or triple the plant's natural growing speed, they would be natural farmers if they were into that whole vegetarian thing.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439486979][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, we are thinking of making the floran lisp implied. As in, it is there if you the player want it to be, but you don't have to type it if you don't want to. It is effectively optional to characters, but is still a common trait among a fair portion of florans, a sort of racial accent. Similar to how the avians likely sound due to having beaks instead of lips, all chirpy and loud.

12. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Well I personally disagree, but it is how it is, I suppose.

Question: How about Avian Crystal Tech?
    Since there's Codexes stating that Avian Crystal export is controlled by Avos, and that the pirates smuggle it to Greenfinger.

So it's most likely very rare and thus one cannot get their hands on it, in the Frontier, right?

I don't really know of any places/people that use Avian Crystal Tech, though.

13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Pretty much, I suppose some could be around, but it would likely be in the hands of avians. Much the same way you wouldn't find anyone but the apex having apex tech.

Rare doesn't mean it doesn't exist though, it just means if you have it you need to have a valid explanation for it other than 'I found it/bought it/a dude gave it to me'