1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

Does it have any items that weren't in the original game? IE any custom blocks or custom items like a S00PER D00PER Matter Manipulator? That should be the easiest question to ask when making sure it's server-friendly.
    In the case it /does/ have custom assets, I'd just use a mod off of the server and return with items that are not added into the game by the mod. And this does not include items made in Starcheat, those use ingame assets.

2. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Can a standard ship outrun it?

3. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I would simply not use the mod in multiplayer quite yet, and use it in singleplayer as you suggested. The mod seems worth investigating, though.

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Slow on a grand scale can (and usually is) still fast on a small scale.

5. Doctor Frohman

So lets say that a person in their standard ship sees the anomaly from maybe the furthest distance. Can they, or can they not out-run it? Or is it if you even see the anomaly, yer boned?

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Canonically, I guess if you were super quick you could *maybe* FTL away, but mechanically, this is being used to explain a wipe so everybody gets caught in it.

7. Doctor Frohman

Well, I have a character who I'm not going to bring into it. I'd prefer that he /sees/ the anomaly, escapes it, deals with all the shit back home, then eventually goes into it suicidally only to find... tada, Ex-Antares people.

8. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

No, the mod does not contain any items that are not in the game. In fact, I think It used to contain things that were removed from the newest update, but all of those items have turned into Perfectly Generic Items. So I think it's relatively safe.

9. Tallen

Tallen New Member

I have an idea that may explain the anomaly only hitting a few things and not others. It affects all teleporters/beampads/etc... and makes them go haywire. Beampads allow entire ships to be warped away, and teleporters in planets cause either the entire planet to be whisked away or individual aliens in them and possibly chunks of buildings - planets found might just have ruined chunks of buildings in them.

Now, on thing that doesn't quite sit me right. Galaxy-wide anomaly? This seems far, far too big in scope. I would restrict it to a small cluster of sectors (however we define it) instead.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The Magic of Science Fiction

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I would rather the anomaly happens in the Antares Sector too, not the entire Universe.

12. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

whats the difference? less character backgrounds available? yea, thats the only difference

13. Cassidy

Cassidy The Strudel

DID SOMEONE SAY MAGIC, I HEARD MAGIC, HERESY.

14. Tallen

Tallen New Member

The difference is in fact that such an event on a galactic scale on multiple civilizations would mean complete societal collapse, anarchy and trillions of deaths, let alone what the fuck would happen when you stuff a bunch of tribal Florans, religious Flightless, Apex Miniknog, volatile Novakids and thousands of wild alien beasts into one planet all at once.

I'd like to think that our excuse for a server wipe will not in fact result in the end of all known civilizations as we know it.

15. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Well the true fact of the matter is that none of our characters will know, since we would have next to no way of understanding where we are, we might be able to pick out some stars but really what's the problem if the entire galaxy becoming our 'frontier', we never see it in game anyways. You can always make up a place to be 'from', that remains unchanged, because of history. The point is moot.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Why death? The anomaly doesn't kill or destroy anything, only moves it somewhere else.

17. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

Maybe big ape and Kluex could finally get together for that cage match eh?

On a more serious note, it is science fiction. Anything can happen. Here's an idea, and its fresh, so listen up lads. The story could start with a scientist, or a genius working on a new FTL drive. It works by creating a bubble in space and time, and then closing in on the ship, removing from existence, and placing it back in at the destination. Unfortunately once the first test goes, the bubble is not limited to the ship, and explodes across the entire Antares, taking it out of existence, and placing it elsewhere. The obvious problem with this is you might say the planets would be taken as well, but I say they're too big or something. Science fiction!

18. Alaystus

Alaystus Resident Art Bum
    Staff Member

I can understand both sides of this argument. While a galaxy-wide anomaly would allow for people from all over the galaxy to just, 'show up' and create vast and diverse story possibilities, the lasting effects of a gargantuan galactic shuffle would be devastating. The entirety of space as we know it would be changed. Homeworlds appearing somewhere else, possible climate changes, not to mention the universal map change. It could most definitely mean a collapse of a civilization, depending on who is placed where, and what is distorted. Say for instance the monster that ripped apart earth was suddenly transported to another homeworld. Imagine a fleet of Florans arriving on a planet full of disorientated people who have just woken up on a strange world. After this event, anyone arriving in the new sector would be a refugee, whether they arrive by ship pre or post-anomaly. While I do like the idea of an anomaly immensely, I think that the affected areas should perhaps be limited, as to not cause universal destabilization.

If this event were to take place as is, it would change the way we role play forever. I think this should at least be taken into consideration.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439525791][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You said this yourself. A suggestion I'd make would be to have two or three sectors linked specifically. Rather than a galactic displacement, it would be more like a switch. Two sectors would 'switch' or trade places, or three sectors would have their contents shuffled between themselves. The way it happens could be the same, the bright anomaly starting roughly in the center of each sector and expanding outwardly. I have provided a diagram below.

switch.png

The only thing then would be determining how the new place has been relatively untouched. Maybe it's like what was said before, only small-ish chunks of matter are displaced, like ships and people and the sides of houses. Perhaps the sectors have changed locations and the people have stayed in the same place. Something on a smaller scale, with a relatively similar effect.​

#98 Alaystus, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  19. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

It only affects people and their stuff, no more need to be worried about universal colapse. And everyone is going to one new sector surrounded by voids, so you can't leave. and everyone displaces at different times, like one could be gone, then apear later within seconds, or they could apear many generations later, or anywhere inbetween. but to the person that gets displaced, it happens immediately, and they travel forward in time.

20. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Actually I galaxy wide would utterly destroy all the civilizations, EVERYONE of them. Sector wide is very much more reasonable, which it what I thought this was not galaxy. I agree with the others this should be sector only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.