1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Regent Voting Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tallen, Aug 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Announcement - Taking a Break | Starbound Roleplay

Regarding all of this, my only request is:

For the love of god don't just vote for your friends.

Carefully think about the applicants. Look at who they are, what they've done, what their skills are, and what history they have. Your experiences with them, their ability to be impartial, their ability to make good decisions, to hear criticism and learn from it. Their ability to be present, their ability to help everyone in the community.

But for the love of all that is good and holy don't turn this into a popularity vote.

The Regent should be working to make everyone in the community happy. If he favors or does only what his friends want then it will all have been for naught.

Anything to discuss, discuss it here to keep the main thread of candidates uncluttered.

2. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

I'd rather vote a member of staff who's experienced with leading and handling issues in the community itself.

3. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

How many of the people actually voting are active on the server? I'm seeing alot of old and unfamiliar names showing up in the voting booth.

Malachar was completely inactive until Angre tossed his hat in the poll, to name one.

As well as brand new names, people who barely have had any time here.

4. Tallen

Tallen New Member

That is a huge issue I saw. What is stopping people from pleading for votes from outside? Asking for old friends with forum accounts from waltzing in? A huge number of people came in to vote soon after the votings started.

5. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

It's a community vote, just because they don't post on the forums often doesn't mean they don't hang around Antares and play on the server every once in a while.

Everyone is free to vote as they please.

6. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

I can name a few people who don't even play on the server, and have straight up left, or just joined.

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

The system isn't perfect, that's for sure.

8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Just because I'm not completely active as others, doesn't mean I don't check in from time to time. And from the candidates offered, I chose the one who;s a longtime staff member, and is adept at remaining unbiased. Lord knows the amount of times he's had to reign in the people in the USAF when they got too out of hand. And he's never been shy about voicing displeasure when they broke rules or metad or anything in that regard.

Sometimes people come and go, and other times they don't have the time they once did.

Speaking of calling people out by the way.
    [​IMG]
    [said post vanished after I tossed it a "like" instead of a retaliatory comment]

Anyways, as a Veteran of the server, who simply plays other games, and has been into a lot of tabletop, I simply thought I could toss in a vote on the server that got me introduced into RP, by considering the available candidates, all of which I have extensive experience with.

I suppose in the end, one vote isn't going to make too much of a difference at this stage, unless the votes are "altered" more, by thinking up other reasons.

9. The Grand Mugwump

I hope everyone realizes the administrator isn't just a bigger moderator. You're going to want someone who can handle server-side and web design work as well (maybe you should clarify the job description Kaz). Also hello again everyone. I couldn't help but notice my user group was forced to watch several forums on here and e-mail spam happened.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

For explaining yourself, I shall let you vote. However, due to your affiliations with the USAF, and Angres affiliations with the same, you cannot vote for Angre.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439152093][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Sorry... should be fixed...
    Hello...!

11. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Under that logic Angre loses most of his votes.

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

So he has.

13. Venom

Venom New Member

If you're going to throw votes out because of affiliations, just pick somebody. This is ridiculous. I've evaluated my choice out of his history with Antares and individual merit, not because he's a faction member of something that no longer exists.

14. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

And that's alright. If I'm not chosen for the position, that's alright. I'll continue my work as a Super Moderator and I'll work alongside the rest of staff to keep Antares going. I'm sure whoever is chosen for Regent will make a good Administrator.

15. The Grand Mugwump

It sounds like candidates who weren't randomly chosen should lose all of their votes if people aren't allowed to vote for someone they like. I do agree with the inactive votes rule though.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Candidates nominated themselves. Anyone can run. Nobody was chosen.

17. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Are we also going to scour Dark's votes to see if any of them are on his friend's list?

If we're being fair, anyone who's so much as talked to the candidates must be barred.

These are underhanded tactics and you know it Kaz.

Are you saying just because we're friends, or in the same faction, we're incapable of making a rational decision?

That's what this says.

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Faction relationships are quantifiable, unlike personal relationships.

19. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

The USAF faction is mostly dead. We're a group of friends.

Edit: I've been informed it's completely dead, they were disbanded.
    Edit 2: So since there is no faction, the arguments against letting us vote are moot if personal relationships are okay. Otherwise, nobody on the forum is allowed to vote and you need to give like 20 of your neighbors a ballot to choose from.

#19 Malachar, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2015
  20. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I'm voting for Angre specifically, it isn't due to his and my affiliation with the USAF, it is that I genuinely believe out of the current candidates he is THE MOST qualified in my opinion. Him being my friend or an ex faction member is irrelevant, and as Malachar stated, declaring people's votes invalid because THEY are friends with the candidate is silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.