1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Racial Lore and History

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Khaltor, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I like the idea of creating racial differences, as that is what makes them different races, but getting nitpicky like this with any race is exactly why no one is ever able to agree on anything. Keep it simple and easy to call to mind; there are SEVEN races we have to keep track of, at all times. Speculating on the convoluted lore that CF makes, and making inferences off of it has clearly not worked in the past, and there's no reason it should work in the future. The definition of insanity is called to mind.

2. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Every race is of similar size and mass, and thus would have similar capabilities.

Are hylotl slightly better swimmers? Probably,
    Are the glitch a little hardier than most? Sure.
    Are the apex better with technology? yeah,

But all that is mostly just flavour.

Pvp wise all races should be considered to be no better, faster or stronger than any other, it all comes down to the capabilities of the CHARACTER, body types can vary wildly, even between races

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Isn't flavour the side of the game that we are going to use? Otherwise everyone is just humans in different costumes rather than actual alien races.

4. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

You can play a separate race without having advantages over everyone else. Every race has their quirks. Avians may perform some odd actions such as preening, or they may think less of other races for their lack of feathers. Hylotl may be assumed to be slimy by other races, whether they are or not. Apex may be seen as inferior by Humans due to their appearance. Just because certain races don't have physical advantages doesn't mean they aren't different.

5. Rezima

Rezima New Member

The races are different, they behave differently, they have different motivations and goals, different ideologies, different origins, different history.

But combat wise, as far as Plaver-Versus-Player combat is concerned? They are exactly the same.

And for the last time, no, florans cannot control plants. This is Official Antares Canon

6. Avis

I feel it is still important that they have their natural connection and can warp plants over time, for example, their treehouses. However growing tables at will and bringing up crops that create guns is rather ridiculous.

7. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Yes, that I agree with, they can definitely shape plants slowly(over the course of a few days, not seconds or minutes) to make homes and furniture and such.

But growing guns, controlling plants and using them to bind or attack people, making sudden 'entrances' in wooden walls and all things likes this are not okay,

8. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Your official Antares canon makes zero sense though.

How would , a primitive tribal race, manage to successfully wage war with multiple, far more technologically advanced races unless they had some unique abilities, like their uncanny ability to reverse engineer tech, or their ability to grow weaponry.

Florans can control plants, it's a pretty important part of their lore. They grow their homes, their lighting, their furniture, their weaponry. Influencing plant growth through some kind of pheremone control or some other sci-fi reason is nowhere near as ridiculous as plasmabag space cowboys.

What IS ridiculous is the idea that a bunch of tribals that are humans in every respect other than appearance are able to wage war with space marines without having some kind of ability that gives them an edge.

Take away floran's abilities to manipulate nature and you left with nothing but some amazon rainforest tribals, in space with flowers on their heads.

Not to mention that I asked the chucklefish developers in a livestream question and answer session, whether florans can grow guns, and they said yes they can.

[DOUBLEPOST=1439099404][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I never intended to mean florans can cause plants to magically move rapidly before your eyes to bind, attack people or make entrances. Just that they can influence the growth of plants into growing into what they want the same speed that real plants grow, but yes that includes guns. You have a personal headcanon without actually justifying why it is better or the right way to do things.

9. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

The thing is, the dev canon doesn't mean shit to antares. We have bits of lore we recognize from them, and some we made. Just because they said it doesn't mean it goes.

10. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Fair enough but taking away anything that makes alien races unique or interesting just makes things really boring.

Why say it's not true? I don't see any reason to take it out.

This is science fiction, different cultures and histories can come from a modern day or historical setting. Truely different an alien civilisations can only really come from sci-fi, that's what makes sci-fi interesting.

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Wreth, you are immensely biased towards florans, and that's fine, I am the same way with avians.

But they are not all powerful, they die just as easy as anything else. And again, this is OUR lore, the ANTARES lore, we have long been in favour of ignoring the less RP friendly aspects of Chucklefish's lore.

Super strong, super smart, genius engineer plant people with all the advantages and very few weaknesses are not kosher with Antares Lore, they are too powerful, consider them Nerfed.

The history can stay the same, that's fine, but one floran is about equal to one of any other race COMBAT WISE, getting tired of stressing that point.

The races are plenty different in other ways that being superstrong shouldn't be that big of an issue.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I've always RP'd my floran characters as equal in combat anyway, whatever, she's lost melee fights to humans plenty of times.

But seriously, what the the hell are these then?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Avis

Guns created with SOME plant components, not literally grown out of the ground as has been done. I am sure that we have gone over this with you before. If you wish to bring up past issues, please do it in a conversation and not here.

14. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Well, in game you make those by adding plant matter to actual guns.

Which implies that they are real, scavenged guns, modified to shoot plant spikes and such by florans.

But that is all a moot point to begin with, as florans can't grow guns in Antares.

15. Wreth

Wreth New Member

So you are seriously arguing that I can use these weapons in RP, I just can't have my character say they grew them, seriously?.

16. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Actually, yes, that is exactly what we are saying. As it implies you scavenged a gun and rigged it to shoot something other than bullets.

The alternative being that you are a literal gun farmer..which is...silly

17. Avis

We have been over this issue before on several occasions. It'd be nice if you two would stop derailing the thread further.

18. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

To re-rail, sorta, it would be nice if newer people (I.E Me) had some sort of reference about the races. I mean the official lore is okay, but I picked an Avian as my character because I thought they looked cool. Now im concerned im not acting as an Avian should and the likes. It seems like we all take our own similar approaches for each race, but theres no real examples of each races "average joe" to take notes on.

19. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Agreed, this is getting a bit heated and I apologize for feeding the issue

20. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Race - Starbound Wiki

We have no proper guides, but this page might help you, it has the basics for all the races, though it isn't one of our resources.
    You can click on the individual races to get more in depth explanations.