1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Please remain on-topic. I usually delete off-topic replies.

2. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

If there's no set starting point, then we will have to figure out how to contact one another. Will there be an option for a player to meta the starnet into existance? Any thoughts on how this will canonically affect the way our forum itself is RP'ed?

Oh and while we're at it, universal radio? Will that be unaffected I presume?

3. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Good questions! I'll divide them up.

1) I imagine the radio equipment on ships will still work, so you can contact that way. Radios really need their own thread for discussing how they're to be used. (Ex: Handheld radios can't and shouldn't broadcast outside of a planet)

2) It's Sci-Fi, so wireless technology could exist in a stronger form... but I don't think that it'll manage to reach any networks through the voids surrounding the new location, so any sort of StarNet won't really be "internet" but a local network. Basically, websites will have to be run by ex-Antares inhabitants, not necessarily any official entity or other service. So it will affect online roleplay in the sense that there will be no sources from outside the zone.

3) Again, radios need their own thread. Handheld radios should not broadcast universally. Ship radios, I'm fine with. If you want to start a new topic on it, that'd be appreciated.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I'd really like to see that guns and super-powerful technology like power armors don't quite make it into the new universe. It would make melee-trained combatants a little more relevant. That goes for bowmen too. Or fuck, even atl-atls would work.

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I think that if the anomaly idea is well received enough (which it seems to have been, at least so far), we can create an entirely new thread to discuss what all transfers over in terms of items and equipment. We should also have a separate thread (which could be made now) discussing the technology level of our setting and how we can balance and flesh out these various pieces of equipment.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

So in a since there could be a Mr. Universe running "the signal" for he new sector? Perhaps a group of hackers, IT guys, etc. creating controlling sector base network. Maybe canonically a guy known only as the Kobold.

7. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

I was going to volunteer for that job Yotan!

8. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Silly, which would fit the theme of Starbound. The internet is really just a bunch of computers connected together. There doesn't have to be a hub. Although it might help with keeping the online presence stabilized, and would explain when IC posts are moderated.

I kind of like the idea, minus "The Kobold" part.

9. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

1. I think there should be people and settlements already there. At least some. That way people have a place to be and ex-Antarans can find interesting interactions with native people. Maybe even conflicts and this could develop server lore and such. I see more interesting events happening with people... or creatures that the ex-Antarans have yet to see in the new sector.
    2. How would the resource thing work out exactly? So people would actually have to mine using in-game mechanics and store these resources and log em?
    Everything I wanted to ask was pretty much asked already.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

1) No, sorry. That's not how the anomaly lore is set up.
    2) I'd like to get an ILC replacement released before we do this. Mining stuff in-game lags the server.

11. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

With an anomoly wipe like this, it would completely decimate any sort of IC economy/money system that is set up, so people would also need a new source of currency. I suggest material, or go Metro style and make it bullets.

Also, if the anomaly is sweeping across the galaxy, is it possible for us to be "teleported" to a space outside the anomaly, to the result of experiencing it again at some point? Or does it just switch us with another area inside the ring of influence.

I think this is a good idea overall, and could definitely provide some RP if done right. One of the major checkmates of RP is lack-of-hub, so I think at least some centralized point, built upon or not, should be chosen as where more chars land than others. Maybe it has some ruins on it. Run down houses, broken stone wall, etc. Shelter, but not home.

And in the event that ILC isn't viable in time, it is always possible to either spawn an inventory full of things in starcheat beforehand, or do it in singleplayer with /admin. Annoying, yes, but easier than getting it all legit.

12. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

I like this idea, lets do this, but if we play normally and end up getting to high tier stuff, could we use that stuff? or is it still power gaming?

13. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

oh, kaz your saying no mining, but I like the idea of making the server legit now, and I think a good idea would be some things would get displaced with other people, lets say a super poor... floran ends up having a gun that was originaly someone elses, or another example would be someone got displaced half naked, and they see a pair of pants that isn't theirs, a mile away.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439051257][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I like an idea of some ships getting messed up, because then they can easily RP out the starting ship stuff when making a new char.

14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Temporarily locking this thread.

EDIT: Unlocked.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439054501][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Hmm... this is a whole 'nother topic and could use it's own thread.

I've covered this while answering a previous question.

#54 Kazyyk, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  15. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Okay, so I'm sort of confused. This 'anomaly' basically resets the entire galaxy? So home worlds and colonies would be destroyed, and the buildings, equipment, people and, in terms of Earth, monsters would be displaced across the galaxy, like some galactic shuffling machine?

What will happen to starships owned by people? Will these be displaced? Equipment and items on the character? It seems like there are too many unknowns in this system...

Perhaps having this 'anomaly' just affecting part of the galaxy would be a better idea. The wave would expand before eventually losing energy, and would collapse in on itself; creating the 'shuffling' effect. This anomaly will basically destroy, like, EVERYTHING, so maaaybe having it affect the entire galaxy is a bad idea. There has to be SOME foundation, and this anomaly will destroy everything. Hell, it's destroying Chucklefish lore to a great extent.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It doesn't destroy anything, just moves it. Also known as displacing. As well, it only displaces connected matter. So let's say your feet are touching a planet, both you AND the planet will be displaced as you are both touching. Same for ships, equipment, or anything else. So if you're in your ship during the displacement, both you, your ship, and anything on the floor (or otherwise touching) your ship will displace with you to the same location. (No, we're not keeping colonies with this logic, as the point is to start over.)

EDIT: I may have to retcon some of this later, such as an entire planet coming with you. Perhaps it has a mass limit, but a ship would work - since it's like a large container of sorts that you're in. Maybe buildings would get partially displaced.

See above.

#56 Kazyyk, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  17. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

So is the entire galaxy affected?

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Not at once. Slowly. Over time. This allows new characters to conceivably come from anywhere.
    Although the inhabitants won't know about the nature of the anomaly or how far reaching it is.

It's really just designed as a lore excuse to allow maximum creativity and flexibility for both the players and Staff.

19. TrashHound

Its basically an IC reason for a server/universe wipe/reset. It's also a great way to implement some new, creative roleplay.

20. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I think we're trying to apply to much logic to this. Why not just let ti happen and throw up a general "we don't really know how it works, we just know it did", especially ICly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.