1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Cosmic Anomaly Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Unofficial Lore Discussion' started by Kazyyk, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

Some questions/concerns:

1.) How much time will have passed between the beginning of the anomaly, and whenever we arrive in the new sector?

2.) If we don't have any resources, how in the hell are we gonna make a hub?

3.) We might not be completely screwed if we all make it through to the new sector, but RP is going to be pretty stale with no core sector factions to interact with... Since we haven't had any extremely active factions recently.

2. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

I can answer the last two.

2. The hub will have to be built, by players, without magic monies and overnight construction. I personally would like to see a colony where players just sort of.. Build houses together and elect a leader and all that.

3. Core Sector factions were never allowed inside Antares anyways. The USCM was a very shaky exception.

3. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

I can list at least two colonies implementing the 'player-free-build' concept

1.) Dexters Gardens
    2.) The Mawl

Both lasted a month, whereas colonies like Taranis, Avalon, and Tetanus fields... Which all had much more pre-built into them, lasted much longer.

I'm not talking about JUST core sector factions either, I'm talking about the general population of the rest of the galaxy. You're talking about total isolation for an already small number of settlers and other individuals in the frontier. This stagnates the population, and prevents immigration for new characters from other sectors. Not to mention, it prevents things like Miniknog refugees, new Flightles or Grounded, or any other lore related fresh character.

It'd essentially mean we'd be asspulling new characters when we needed them.

4. TrashHound

I think this sounds great, but I have one last question. After the anomaly happens and are existing characters are all transported to another place, are we all going to start on the same planet? If so, cool. But if not, how are we going to transport people to other random planets to start on?

5. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

1. It'll be instant. Me resetting the universe on the server is the anomaly "occurring" across Antares. Read below (my second quote response) as to how I explain why all characters aren't instantly available after it occurs, which accounts for players logging in at different times.

2. Planet resources. Mine, extract, build.

3. Make a faction!

I guess you didn't read the part or the post where I said that the anomaly is slowly spreading throughout space and can displace people over time, and that the anomaly displaces spacetime itself and so that a group of people displaced at the same time can actually arrive at different times. These people can have all kinds of backgrounds.

6. Avis

I never said there weren't colonies like that. In fact, I believe if anything my statement insinuated that colonies in the server were already like that.

Anyways, what Kazyyk said about the spreading anomaly part. It is easy to miss, I actually missed it myself when he explained it. But the anomaly spreads, and Antares just happened to be one part that got swooped up rather quickly.

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

They won't, as the anomaly displaces Antares' and select other things to the "general area" rather than one specific location. Otherwise, people and things would collide. Starbound naturally supports spawning people on random planets, so that's not a problem and is actually default behavior. (You have to set up a spawn planet in the config file, which we simply just won't do.)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1439009567][/DOUBLEPOST]
    It actually doesn't matter when the anomaly hits Antares, as not all matter is displaced to the same place. It could be put anywhere, like a galactic shuffle. So we don't really know where along the anomaly timeline Antares is when it gets washed over, however the area Antares' inhabitants is deposited could either be an area already washed over or an area far away ahead of the anomaly yet to be washed over. (This would allow us to setup another anomaly event in the future, should we ever need it, but hopefully not.)

8. Avis

I will put in my fervent hopes that any characters who don't fit the general time (I.E. medieval knights) will not be allowed.

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

No, the anomly doesn't reach into the past or the future. It only affects the current cosmos in it's current time as it spread outwards, however, it can take varying amounts of time to displace people. It's almost like a stasis effect. It's instant to them, but suddenly it's been a day, two weeks, four months, or a year.

10. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

So does this 'anomaly' effect the entire galaxy? Will homeworlds and other sectors be affected?

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Yes, although they don't have to play into our lore if we don't want them to. That's what's nice about the anomaly from a lore perspective.

So let's say for example that the Hylotl homeworld is washed over in this anomaly. Any character could be from that homeworld, and arrive at any time due to the nature of the anomaly. This makes sense canonically, and so provides a convenient way to integrate new characters from a myriad of backgrounds.

12. Fenrous

Fenrous New Member

I think this is a great idea Kaz. I personally like this method of 'replacing' the setting but not retconning events that happened beforehand.

EDIT: I just had an idea. Maybe the 'other side' of the anomaly that characters are coming out of could be in a Void. It would be too far away for anyone to find the survivors or for the survivors to FTL jump away from provided they have any fuel at all.

#32 Fenrous, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  13. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Couple Questions:

• Will this be a detectable by ship sensors ahead of time, other then visual means?
    • Is there a way to shield or protect against it? (Cause I put too much effort in to Tanji's business to lose it.)
    • Also what will happen to ship systems when the anomaly hits?
    I feel that visually and sensor wise there should a glimpse that the anomaly coming before hand. So that before the wipe show panic in RP. As they prepare for this and try to get out of the way or leave Antares. Then on the set date of "reset" as the anomaly goes through (wiping the server)" and BOOM! We start a new.

#33 Yotan, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I like this idea, although it'd be more correct to say that it's surrounded by voids, rather than in the middle of one.

1) Sure, it's sci-fi. There's certainly some sort of machine that could detect a large fluctuation in... something sciency to detect it. I don't see why not.
    2) Sorry, there isn't. This is due to the OOC universe wipe and it's reasons, as explained in the original post.
    3) As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, most electronic systems will go unaffected. I only say most because we don't know if we'll need an electronic system to conveniently malfunction for story purposes or not. Player ships should be fine and displace with them provided that they are in contact with it (touching any surface) when the anomaly washes over them.

15. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Sorry I added more just after you posted. :p

16. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I know Uwajima still has trouble taking off and I'd like to use the oppertunity to create a neutral sanctuary for non-Florans. (Clem, why y do dis?!)
    Because Hylotl + Florans = Issues. (Exceptions possible, but not often granted.)

Will it be possible for me to re-create what I have now after the wipe?
    Since until some folk decide to settle down, I'm mostly alone.

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

While you could, I think it would be better for everyone to not clone what they've already done.
    Remember that canonically, all of these places will still exist. Sure, you can make a copy, but why not try to do something new and fresh?

We are, in essence, trying to start a new chapter of roleplay in our community, so I'm not sure if we really want to keep to our past too much.

18. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I will do something fresh and new, but apart from the Asian/Hylotl vibe. Things will be different, dont worry.

19. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Here your Uwajima character can work for Tanji :p

I hope that a lot of RP resulting in panic will result from this before the wipe.

20. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'll have to pass on that work offer, Tsuyoshi isn't a technician or someone for sales. Too rooted in the traditional ways, would rather and try to sell Hylotl arms and armour instead :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.