1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Recent Forum Downtime

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hello, everyone.

First off, I want to apologize for the forums being down as long as they were. There we technical issues that were difficult to troubleshoot and thus resolve. Even now, not every issue is solved, but at least the forums should be working mostly now. (Let me know of any bugs you encounter.)

I know Antares hasn't been really healthy lately. General disinterest in Starbound, lack of updates, and the forums being down have crippled the morale of our community. Despite these issues, I encourage everyone to remain calm and trust in both yourself and your peers. This might be Antares darkest hour, but hey, we'll bounce back, eh?

There's a lot to be said about attitude. Right now, I think cohesion, camaraderie, and a general sense of belonging will do wonders for us. I'll be working on solving these pesky issues in the background and upgrading the server to have more features in the coming months.

In fact, because things have gotten so stale in terms of features, I've been considering risking running the server on the nightly builds. Please post below your thoughts on this if you have any.

As for our Project Zomboid side project, I'd like to downplay it's prominence while we focus back on Starbound and enhancing the experience for you here. I think that Antares can easily regain it's former glory, but not without feedback from what's left of it's community.

I've been giving a lot of thought to things in general, such as our whitelist. How small it makes us. How protect it makes us, too, in a sense. So perhaps to help us get back on our feet, we should stretch our legs? Loosen our grip, so to speak, in terms of relaxing the qualifications for passing the whitelist. Now you might be thinking something along the lines of, "Won't roleplay quality dip?"

It might... but only elitists would be bothered by this, and we're not supposed to be elitists. We should help our fellow people and encourage positive roleplay habits. So I think, if we can all do this, and be kind to one another, show each other the way of roleplay - we can survive.

I'll wrap this up, as I've already written a lot. I look forward to discussing our future with you in the posts below.

Cheers,
    Kaz

2. Ricardo

Ricardo ERP Champ 2016

YOU'RE WELCOME ANTARES! Leave it to the pessimist to get the ball rolling.

#2 Ricardo, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  3. OcularOccultist

OcularOccultist New Member

Masterfully done sirrah! Proposing a new direction for the server whilst, in the same breath, preemptively attempting to silence any dissent or nay saying by effectively branding all those who do not agree nasty little 'elitists.' Woe is to me though, for I must come forth and admit... Roleplay quality does matter to me, quite a bit as it were. Call me Elitist, Classist, or even Cassius Clay, but my point shall stand. I do not believe just because one enjoys actual dialogue and compelling narrative over self-inserting fantastical flights of fancy, that they are necessarily elitists, and that a desire for general quality of the server is anything to be dissuading people off of. So, in mine insignificant voice I shall simply request.. 'Please don't do this.' Do not open the floodgates and allow human waste to flood into the community, albeit temporarily, and sacrifice quality for numbers. GC, this is not.

#3 OcularOccultist, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2015
  4. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Yet some of Antares' people that I know of are, in fact, planning a move over to GC. And to be honest I might be one of them depending on what happens.
    You're going to need something good or enticing enough to keep people around here. Like, say, places that don't crash. But if you can't solve that then yes indeedy, this most certainly is a dark time. And I honestly am skeptical about whether you truly could make it bounce back.

5. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

We need something to happen in Antares. Something to push a story, something to happen. New colonies just aren't cutting it anymore. We need a big server-wide event to happen.

6. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Let's get to brainstorming, then!
    I'm sure we can collectively come up with something to breathe life back into Antares.

I've always wanted to do something involving "Arcs" and "Chapters", to help keep the ball rolling.

7. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

I've been involved in some of the more popular arcs

All were only semi-concluded, and left with something of a cliffhanger before upbeat giraffe

One was the Blackfang tribe storyline, which is likely the most widely used excuse for Floran discrimination in Antares.

The second was the Outcast story arc, involving a group of anarchists (it was an engaging faction, even if some of the people involved did end up getting banned...)

Another could be the story arc involving the Holy Fleet of Avos and the Flightless, if people aren't sick of seeing the birb master race

Or we could always move forward a few years in time and have some pre made factions

Just a bunch'a ideas.

8. FoRgE

FoRgE Whack-A-Yak-5

I feel removing the whitelist could do things to help boost our population, assuming the staff can handle it, which in most cases I feel they'd be able to.

And sadly the constant nightly updates are too many to keep updating on slow internet, so I can't agree with it due to my lack of availability. (100kb/s download speed.)

A story arc could work, assuming it doesn't arch off into the land of unrealism and confusion, I'm for all if you can think of something.

9. Diehardpatriot

Diehardpatriot New Member

Removing the whitelist would be a huge step, dunno if that'd be a good or bad step. Probably bad, considering staff is already exhausted and busy as it stands.

And if we're going to have story arcs, we need people in charge of that aspect of the server.

10. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'm for story arcs. But they need to be like a tiny snowball rolling downhill, increasing in scale the more snow it collects. Make it base off the number of people participating in it instead of doing something grand and complex from the start. I'm still sticking to Tsuyoshi though, I like that Hylotl-asian vibe too much :)

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Yeeaaah... events may be a problem given our current Staff numbers. I'll look into properly recruiting more people if possible.

12. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I strongly disagree with the idea of removing the whitelist, that would make the server accessible to ALL KINDS of undesirable sorts and griefers. In my opinion it is far more trouble than what it's worth.

13. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

We wouldn't ever remove it entirely, just make getting approved easier. The whitelist would just act as security then rather than screening quality.

14. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

I read that, should've been more specific and quoted the individual I was addressing.

15. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I think that something should be done to the application process to encourage more people to sign up and start. When I was a PA, alot of applications would talk about how long they spent filling out the form, so maybe tone it down significantly, just until we get something smooth rolling again.

Also, I've been thinking lately about some sort of server wide disease that comes through, maybe in conjunction with some other event, like a meteor strike or a sector wide EMP flare or something. A few people get infected, it spreads, and it becomes a sort of 'zombieland'. May kill off some main chars, true, but I think its time for a fresh start with some chars, and this would also be an interesting way to interact, if everyone is trying to survive the 'zombie' horde together. Doesn't have to be zombies, but I think the infection idea is a good one. Give scientists something to do, the cure would be strictly regulated OOCly so people dont come up with it overnight, clues to its outbreak epicenter would be given out every now and then, etc. I'd gladly help with events and the like, and would definitely do what I could, but my attention span is usually lacking. :\

Also, glad the forums are up, but whats with the change back to the old url? I didn't even know they were up until I got an email about that new thread you just put up, Kaz.

16. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Old url, better url.
    Haha, no, but seriously, this url is our home. It was wrong to ever leave it, I think.
    We'll have more exposure with this url.

17. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

Personally I think the whole zombie apocalypse idea sounds wicked. If that's what you're going for, count me the frick in!!!
    But of course I'll support any other ideas too ;)

18. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Like the infection idea. ALSO...

Can we has the forums get updated? We lost like 3 weeks of information lol.

19. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It was only a day or so of information, and no, that day of data is gone.

20. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

aww