1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Unburying a decrepit colony

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwilt, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Redwilt

Redwilt Washed up has been

After Post Edit: This probably belongs in the roleplay planning section, huh.

Alright folks.

Got some questions to lay down for ya'll, and if enough checks come over X's, this here OOC thread could become an IC event.

First off:
    I want to unbury an abandoned colony.

Who: Republic of Canada / New Canada (The name was never officially decided)
    What: A colony on a very snowy planet.
    When: Fairly soon.
    Where: Some ice planet, likely with a pre-requisite of cold nanoskin. If I can find a snow planet without needing it, that would be even better.
    Why: 2 reasons. 1) I put a lot of damn effort into building up this colony pre-wipe.. two wipes ago or something.
    2) It's an ICly already built hub that just needs excavating and likely extensive repair work.

ICly, this colony was on a very snowy planet for multiple reasons. The primary reason being the founder hated florans. Florans should not do well in cold temperatures without appropriate tech because the way they're biologically made. The colony fell under, was abandoned, and now it's buried ten feet under in snow.

Is that a logical reason to "Go back and dig it up?"

I also OOCly hate the names / look of the current colonies, and i want to bring a home-y / cozy colony into the mix.

Two (old) screenshots of the colony pre-wipe:
    http://puu.sh/cDGCt/c5ee128200.jpg <-- This was the inn
    http://puu.sh/cD7vD/9f86c69a65.jpg <-- Jail with background house.

Some of you saw Republic of Canada. Some of you didn't. I got the general feel that those few who saw it enjoyed it, but I never went public with it on Starnet, just advertised over radio.

2. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Not bad idea. I approve.

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

If the reason is florans, they are more afraid of fire and dryness rather than cold. Personally, I think they would be detrimented to go into a snowy planet as much a a human.

I'm okay with the idea.

4. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

But the wipe caused the world file to be incompatible

5. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

The only thing I find that I dislike about this idea is the name. Not that I'm against Canada as a name, I like the country a lot, but what's with non-original names for planets(except the Mawl) all I've seen are colonies with very simple and non-creative names. That's all. Are the days of original colony names behind us?

6. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Also New Canada is just a rip off of New Chicago, which was just a ripoff of chicago

7. Redwilt

It's the same concept but they're more adapted to jungle biomes.

I would rebuild it literally from scratch. I'm already getting threats from the old outcasts to destroy it when it's done because "Im stealing the idea". No shit. I fucking built it with Kumakin. Nobody else helped us past the planning.

The name was never decided on fully anyway.

8. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Can we just stop with this whole "Outcasts" thing. They aren't some omnipotent power. So can we just stop pretending like they're some kind of big threat.

9. Redwilt

I am the sole survivor. Im more worried about them making an account to destroy the colony OOCly, not ICly. Otherwise, I couldn't care less what they think or do.

10. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

Sole survivor? Don't be dramatic, remember I was apart of their group as well. Don't make this more of a deal than it needs to be.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

If you want to piss off florans, build a colony on a volcanic planet.

There are snowy planets that don't require a nanosuit at eccentric class stars.

Starbound has snow biomes, ice biomes, and frozen ocean biomes.

Snowy biomes don't require a cold protection nanosuit.

12. Redwilt

You were? Hot damn, brothers in arms mate. Nah, not worried. If I get maybe 2 or 3 more people thinking it's a good idea, ill go ahead and start ICly looking for folks to help "dig it up" and earn some money.

Basically it'd be a big community build project. Friendship abound!

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

They are based off of real life places, like ''New York'' which was named after ''York'' which is a City in England.

14. Julius Mayne

Julius Mayne Member

I was joking.

15. Redwilt

Thanks for the snow biome tip.

16. Ripley

Ripley New Member

I'll have to agree with Wreth here, florans hate fire a lot more then cold. Other then that, im all for a colony like that, would make great rp.

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

''Hsss Floran would rather be cold than sssit by fire. '

18. RusMolot

RusMolot New Member

Just curious though, the nanosuit ice-cold planets have plants that have completely frozen over to the point where all you get are ice blocks when you chop them down. So wouldn't that hurt florans to an eaqually large extent? Maybe slow them down, hibernate them, etc? I mean Humans have circulating blood. IRL DARPA has already taken advantage of this fact, and built prototype gloves that can regulate human core temperature, and keep the human from heat stroke and/or hypothermia, no matter how hot or cold it is outside (proven by a person wearing the gloves in an ice bath, and a person jogging on a treadmill in arctic gear, but still staying at the same core temperature). Not sure how Florans would handle this. On the other hand, Volcanic seems like a massive hassle for ICly play. I'm not against it - I think a volcanic planet might make for some unique ICly event, but it would make it a much more extreme environment than an ice planet...

19. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Maybe I'll make a volcanic planet!

20. Redwilt

I agree with you there, but there is just something about wooden structures with cozy fires in a snowy setting that you can't explain or get with a volcanic planet. I also doubt it would give off a 'friendly' atmosphere. More industrial.