1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Story Arc Plan-AKA No more Inactivity

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Shag, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Hello everyone, Shag here! I've got a plan for a good story arc that could last from a few weeks to a month or two. I'm coming up with this because I wanna see some RP again. I'm bored out of my mind, and I'm done with sitting around doing nothing and having nothing to do in the server. Other than to build stuff that is.

Anyways, back to the point:
    This story arc will need a TON of preparation. And I mean a ton because this ain't gonna be a small-time thing. What I'm thinking of may sound cliche'd but if executed in the right way, this could turn out to be fun for everyone and not just a big ol' OOC clusterfuck.

The Idea:
    The idea is to have a reclusive group of (mad) scientists. These scientists will have to be apex, humans and hylotl. Their goal? To create an army of upgraded hiveminded 'glitch' and eradicate the floran threat. Now I know some of you may not like this, since florans are cool, right? Don't worry, these scientists won't just target florans. They'll target floran-friendly areas too. This means every single colony which does not actively bar florans from their territory or kill them if they trespass. Yes, that's the point, these guys are mad scientists.

Okay so we've got a bunch of crazies running around, how will they do anything? They're just a bunch of guys with labcoats. Right. . .?

Kind of. See the thing is, they've already been abducting hivemind glitch for a few years now and have carried out some very unethical tests on them. Unfortunately for us, their experimentation has paid off, and they now have a sizeable army of glitch copies. However, they have not yet been perfected.

This leads us to. . .

The Methods:
    How are they going to get anywhere with a bunch of rustbuckets?
    They'll need more subjects, correct? Then they'll abduct subjects.
    What about resources to produce said rustbuckets?
    They'll need ores. So they'll steal them.

And they'll probably do a bunch of unspeakable things too in order to further their cause.

The Effects:
    The methods will lead towards mini-events of conflict that'll keep things flared up and everyone on their toes.
    Mini events will also serve to provide clues about the mad scientists' bot production factories' locations and also provide some more insight about their own lives and reasons. It's not just a Good vs Evil story. As we progress through the arc, lore about them will be revealed and more ways of defeating the waves of rustbuckets will be known as well. Heck, we might finally make use of techies for once.

Major events will change the course of the arc, and whether or not the mad scientists will 'win' at the end of the Story Arc. If they DO win, then another story arc could follow this one.

So that's that. I tried to keep it as obscure as possible in order to not ruin the fun and surprise of it. Write your replies and tell me if you like this idea or not. It's a bit iffy since I came up with it around 15 minutes ago and I've yet to flesh anything out. I'll need helpers in order to plan things (preferably people who can keep their mouth shut and impartial to the outcome of the events.)

PS: The glitch copies are not really glitch. Just based on them.

2. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

BAM! Nice idea! I like that this could affect everyone of the colonies and factions potentially. I'm looking forward to seeing this happen.

FOR RP!

3. Solour

Solour a dad

death to the flora
    all hail our metallic overlords

4. Tallen

Tallen New Member

I approve wholeheartedly, though I am not sure if I can participate in this.

5. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

What about making the metal army actual Glitch hivemind (being brainwashed even further to follow the commands of the mad scientists), have some Glitch characters be kidnapped and brainwashed and put against us, making it a priority/objective to capture them alive and free them of their mind controlled state?
    There's apparantly ways for Glitch to become re-linked to the hivemind, but there's also ways to sever the link, so perhaps a brainwashed state can be reversed as well?
    The rehabilitation process would be interesting.

Severing Hivemind ties: The Severing - Starbounder - Starbound Wiki

Re-linking: A note on Glitch Outcasts - Starbounder - Starbound Wiki

More Glitch info: Starbound - A basic guide to the inner workings of the Glitch By Professor Oak (IC/OOC) [Khaltor] | Antares Frontier

I'm also assuming the army will be mostly EMP-resistant?

Would they assault Aldrovanda? I think Wreth would probably allow that, but the tribe isn't exactly weak, though I believe there's a lack of active players in the tribe, much like on the server in general...
    They'd meet resistance from Ill Omens and the Tribe on Aldrovanda.

#5 Khaltor, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  6. Wreth

Wreth New Member

The inactivity is due to the server instability though, not lack of interest. People want to RP but they don't want to RP when it's crashing all the time.

7. Shag

Thanks for the info Khaltor, I'll be sure to read them and add them to the mechanics of the plot.

About Aldrovanda: It would be a main target, yup. However, when and how it will be attacked will be left to future planning with the people involved in doing the event. (Me, so far, and leaders of the colony.)
    EDIT: The glitch would most likely be EMP resistant. No fun in having someone come with an EMP device and win everything by pushing the red button.
    That may be one of the reasons, but to be honest we don't have much to rp anyways, asides from distress calls which last a few minutes and BaRP.

#7 Shag, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  8. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

It's sort of hard to have any amount of over-reaching plot or interactions between groups representing different factions when the instability of the server disallows any of that to happen. Further intricacies between characters and factions may only occur if those factions and characters are actually capable of interacting.

9. Shag

Well in the last few days I've been on and doing some stuff for my faction, and server stability hasn't been that bad in my opinion.

Regardless that is a point that will be held in consideration.