1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Dear Twitch.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Twitch, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Shadeykins

Shadeykins New Member

I don't mean to burst your bubble or drag RL politics onto the forums, but Canada is not even remotely close to a peace-keeping country under it's present government. But yes, my argument here is that Hylotl are very much capable of violence despite whatever culture they may originate from, and there shouldn't be a distinction between "warriors" and "violence" as such subjects are intertwined anyways.

2. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Hylotl society is not a perfect analogy of Japanese culture though. The Japanese don't send missionaries across the world to convince other cultures to adopt their ''superior'' culture.

3. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Nah, they are kinda like the white-man that way. Civilize the savages and make'em wear clothes!

Well Canadians are defintely pacifist when compared to the US...

4. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Yeah but they are more about cultural advancement than technological. They consider humans and even the highly advanced Apex to be barbaric savages.

The whole idea of the hylotl is a society of people that think they are more cultured and sophisticated than everyone else when in reality it's not the case.

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

The question was in regards to players playing violent hylotl. This is in relation to the type of characters we see on the server. I am not saying people who are raised as military are not involved in violence. I am saying trained soldiers in hylotl culture, to me, are not the war mongering conflict making type of violent characters we see here on server. So I am still not sure where there is a disagreement here, as we don't even seem to be talking about the same thing.

6. SP3CTR3

Dear Twitch--
    How are the Hyotl more advanced culturally(supposedly)? I personally would love to use the lore to justify my Hyotl as serious pain the *ss, especially to any florans she meets. Are they just trying to spread asian-like culture(ie: WWII imperial style maybe)?

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

They believe their art, fashion, religion, architecture, entertainment media, decoration style, etc are all superior to that of the other races. They believe it is their duty to convince the poor uncultured savages of other races and cultures to adopt their ''superior'' culture.

They will however never use force.

8. SP3CTR3

We've already determined that force is a relative term. There are lots of other ways of non-violent force. Anyways, I'd like to hear Twitch's ideas on this, hence the Dear Twitch.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

''Spread Your Peace

Dearest Hylotl missionary, You have gone out into the great wide world to spread the glory of our species, and to help those less fortunate than ourselves. For this, we thank you.

May the Hylotl spread peace throughout the universe. Be discerning. Be polite. And remember Directive 0451. If you do not know what Directive 0451 is, then do not worry about it. Or ask about it. Just do your job, okay?''

''A Hylotl Journey Begins

You have been drifting in space for some time, unable to choose a planet to explore. Finally your ship has run out of fuel in orbit of an unknown planet, making your choice for you.

It's not quite what you were looking for, and scans indicate the indigenous species are not as cultured as yourself, but that's been the case for the last four hundred and three planets. You sigh. Perhaps you can help to enlighten the savages below. It's a hard life being so stylish.''

10. SP3CTR3

Even these can be examples of force. Just look at Christian missionary work around the world. "Hey if you eat this free food you should to come to my temple of style, especially if you like it and want more since I only have food for those who are willing to listen to some smooth hyotl jazz..."

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

How is that force?

12. SP3CTR3

Withholding food from hungry people in exchange for their helping spread the gospel of style?

How is that not force?

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

''It's not quite what you were looking for, and scans indicate the indigenous species are not as cultured as yourself, but that's been the case for the last four hundred and three planets. You sigh. Perhaps you can help to enlighten the savages below. It's a hard life being so stylish.''

Pretty much implies if they fail to convince people they just pick up and leave and try a new planet.

14. SP3CTR3

Well it can, yes, but it doesn't have to. I think we've already established that individuals can move about outside of the (very) few examples in lore, since four sentences don't really indicate a trend, but instead tell a personal story for the PC. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be the case always but come on! Any florans not savage and tribal with primitive tech knowledge? I'm saying that even supposedly peaceful people can use force(not necessarily violence which is different)...that is all.

15. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Personally, I don't feel any culture in Starbound is more advanced, not overall. You certainly have some that excel in some things more than others. I feel that hylotl, florans, and avians are the races that are likely most effected by their cultures though.

Hylotl superiority doesn't stem from the fact they are superior, its that fact they believe themselves to be. They are a people with long standing presumably well documented tradition, who have also advanced themselves to a new age of technology as well. It's an interesting blend of old and new that seems a lot like Tokyo and its nearby shrines and villages in the areas away from the city.

There isn't a lot we as players truly get from how it all works, so the majority of it is our assumptions. Generally speaking, as long as you don't step on people's toes you have a generous amount of wiggle room.

To answer your question directly though, it could be anything that makes the culture superior in the eyes of a hylotl. They could cite lierature, art, clothing, farming techniques, construction, engineering, the general way of life they uphold. Literally anything, you just need to drive it home. Does it actually have to be true? Nope. The character needs to think it is though to make it genuine.

We are somewhat constricted by the bounds of the universe we roleplay in, oocly, but icly we can do a lot with some good uses of perspective.

16. SP3CTR3

I just found this as well, so while they were pacifists, they might not be now, and even though they strove for perfection, they don't necessarily think all below them, but, according to this, are more likely sympathetic to other species, attempting to help raise them to a higher standard of living to prevent them from destroying themselves. IE: a higher type civilization perhaps. Kardashev scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: There are assumptions here of course, but this is what I tend to think of when I hear of a species striving for perfection through peaceful coexistence. Just thought I'd toss this out for someone to chew on.