1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

So...

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

They did add the possibility to host yourself. In which you can probably modify the bit of not physically leaving the server when you log. But maybe there needs to be a server modification made for that or something? Who knows, still early access so it'll take a while before mods appear for it.

2. Crescentfury

Crescentfury New Member

Being able to host would be good, but it would need an exceedingly amazing computer to run it on.

3. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Should the community want to use forums to organize other games, they can feel perfectly free. I'm here for Starbound. When I make friends with other people I play games with them, but that is mostly it. Just a personal thing.

4. Omenvreer

Omenvreer The Augury

I picture people going and meeting in another open world rp supported game, and saying, "Wait, dude do you have a starbound character?" and then they meet in one game but continue in starbound. Basically bigger population for the sb server. And at the worst times, instead of people saying "i've had enough, im leaving, bye" they instead say "I've had enough, i'm moving to the ____ forums, ... or maybe ____. Might try out rp there for some time."

5. WrongEndoftheRainbow

WrongEndoftheRainbow Leprechaun Not Found

Regarding growth of the player base, Gmod and Minecraft will only spread what we have thinner, both are completely over-saturated with communities, and I think the most growth I've ever seen on a newcomer to the field has been 1-3 players, without even factoring in if they return or not. Unless you can bring something extremely unique to the table, like militaryRP on Gmod, I'd say it isn't a good idea.

As for DayZ, a DayZ RP server would be pretty neat. Sounds like a fun concept.

6. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

I did like what was mentioned and sticking to RP is wise. I remember playing DDO for a bit and RP can be done. LOTR as well. MMORPG is pretty niche at least with us if you look at the most played games. Although it is likely because they aren't on Steam *shrug*

The main reason I recommended DayZ Standalone is because I own it and not the game and mod. If I'm correct though, there are fewer RP servers on the standalone so it would work in our favor to have one on standalone.

7. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

DayZ RP gets stale. Same old after a while, offers little variation in terms of doing something different. Offers very limited RP imo.

Must be one of the reasons it isnt RPed much anymore.

#47 Clem, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  8. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

We could RP on Unturned (Please don't hurt me) I mean it's possible.
    Or Terraria, I guess.
    I'm not good at suggesting stuff so please don't throw your computer into my face.

9. Fluffeh

Fluffeh New Member

I say anything thats not hard to roleplay on. basically sand box games like minecraft and gmod.

10. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

Oh! I forgot, maybe, just maybe, we could do Mount & Blade: Warband?

11. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Yes, this.
    I am very poor in melee though.
    An decent shot with bows and crossbows.

12. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

Disagree. The said can be said of any game, INCLUDING starbound.

Hurr Durr, me in space and build things lololol.

No.

You'll be surprised with the things people come up with when they have the ability for server-side scripts and other downloadable mods. It's the creativity of the people who roleplay in the game that make it fun, and less likely to get old. One just has to look for it and take initiative.

Arma III Life is an excellent example.

13. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

We can do RP on Smash 4. It has potential.

In seriousness, I think we should have a poll some time and see how that works out, what main games are voted on, et cetera. Just looking in here I can see that things like DayZ and Minecraft are a possibility.
    Dunno.
    I'm also just gonna say this again; Project Zomboid. In PZ you can even make your own damn map, but it's a difficult process.
    Dunno again.
    Something will work out.

14. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

Actually, Project Zomboid does have RP potential. I think that could be pretty great.

15. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Yeah, but those are sparse for DayZ. Since in the end it's you, zombies, everyone else. Its a repetitive formula that isnt quite as common with other sandbox games. Since there they allow somewhat more freedom. And a total conversion of DayZ simply makes it another game, which makes it irrelevant as a potential candidate.

I'm more in favour of D&D universe like in Neverwinter Nights 2. Lots of mods released and the class system alongside a class pack allows for unlimited possibilities. Become that brooding necromancer or perhaps that neat'o sneak thief. But multi-classing has to stay a bit within lore, so we dont see exploited multi-classes.

If anyone is interested in building a small team for creating a Persistent World RP server on Neverwinter Nights 2. Send me a PM and we can start going when there's enough people. (Minimum of 3-4 would be nice since its all contemplating first on the setting, story arc, which region to pick) You will need to get Neverwinter Nights 2 to participate.

For anyone interested in getting Neverwinter Nights 2, I suggest looking here to get it cheaply ; link to GOG.com.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1434179779][/DOUBLEPOST]To anyone who wishes to use the first game. Neverwinter Nights as an RP medium instead of Neverwinter Nights 2, I am open for that as well. But there are some differences in the ruleset. Neverwinter Nights 2 uses 3.5 and Neverwinter Nights uses 3.0. I'll read up again on the differences some might be major and some minor but it will still be fun and games I reckon.

16. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

I'd much rather you fix the damn server than go to other games.
    It's so annoying! It crashes every twenty minutes.

17. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

It doesn't do that nearly as often when people aren't modded out so much I think. I noticed everyone had the sit mod and people were flying through walls and such at the spinnaret...when I'm on my own I crash like once every couple hours...maybe

18. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

You didn't read my other post where I said we were looking into it, right?
    It's not black and white. I can't just magically fix the server.

19. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I do hope that you will want to know that Starbound in itself.
    Is still in Alpha. Since the systems inside the game are all still subject to change, removal or additions of new systems.
    With the server still being in Alpha it is likely that the Devs havent kept notice with long-running servers and thus the server code might do some unpredictable things when its ran off custom server management tools created for Starbound. And these management tools are required if you hope to see an uptime of largely 24/7, minus planned downtimes.

So please, stay patient and enjoy even while a fix is being looked into.

20. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Space Station 13. Even if we don't make our own server for it, groups could still be organized to go fuck around on Unbound Travels RP (yes there is unbound travels SS13 RP server). It's a complicated game at first but easy if you put enough thought into it. Disclaimer: It is no where near realistic, but it's really fucking fun. And making an account for BYOND is free. What is BYOND? When random people slap together a game and want to publish it somewhere, BYOND does that I believe so... There's that. Has alot of games... All of them are free.
    Link: BYOND - Make & Play Online Multiplayer Games
    Trailer vid:

#60 CaptainBritton02, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015