1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Hylotls and Fish species. Good, Bad, or just downright terrible?

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Fiery Wither Rose, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

Hylotls are technically fish. they're also technically frogs. Which makes more sense? If the former, would they technically have subspecies of fish, innnnnncluding predatory fish. If the latter, can they do frog like actions.

Most importantly, Shark Hylotl. Would that be a thing, or is that just downright stupid.

2. Tallen

Tallen New Member

I would say they are aliens first and foremost and probably their biology is up for speculation. Of course this would be a horrible way to end the argument, so overall I think they mix frog-like qualities and fish-like qualities, but they are closer to frogs overall. One - they breathe aboveground; something amphibians and water mammals do. Two - many of their interactions with some of their traditional art point to them doing frog-like sounds such as 'ribbit' and 'croak'. Three - they show kindness to fish in tanks, expressing a kinship and desire to free them and not eat them - which while pointing out makes them closer to fish paints them against being predatory in nature. Fourth, evolution to water-dwellers who can live in land point them closer to - yes - frogs and lizards instead of fish. And of course a "predatory nature" goes against what little lore we have on the Hylotl - pacifists and not very aggressive, but very proud and arrogant.

That is just my two cents. I'm open for other people's opinions.

3. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Hylotl are a mix, but they are definitely amphibian in nature. Requiring oxygen like everyone else and have no natural means to filter oxygen from water. Perhaps in the way their digestive system works is similar to that of fish? But they show no predatory instincts, is it because they shut they choose to unlearn these or is it because they came without any? Being more herbivore in nature this way, but they do not seem to show any dislike for meat or dis-ability to digest meat.

Also remember. Every and all descriptions and whatever said by your player character is put there because that is how your character in the story thinks about on it. A non-tribal raised Floran would less likely like those meat curtains than a tribal Floran. (Example)

4. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

I have a semi-related question, but an anatomy question regardless: Would a Hylotl be capable of deep-sea diving without protection against the immense pressure? What about oxygen?

5. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I believe they would be resistant to the deep-sea diving without protection as one of the armours suggest that its worn while people gather coral or kelp? So I assume some kind of breathing apparatus would still be required. Perhaps a thing that functions like gills.

6. Wreth

Wreth New Member

A Hylotl's name gives it away, they are based on the Axolotl, an amphibian.

Axolotl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also hylotl are a single species ''fish'' is a very broad group containing thousands of species, so there would not be as much variety as fish in general, within a single species.

7. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

They do not really apply to any earthly classification system, they cherrypick from different classes of vertebrates and even invertebrates, like amphibians, fish and even mammals.
    - They have gills throughout their lifespan, characteristic of fish
    - They can have fins, characteristic of fish
    - They can breathe air, characteristic of (notmost) fish
    - They can have tentacles, characteristic of cephalopods
    - They are born as little tadpole thingies, characteristic of amphibians (I think?)
    - They have breasts (or some analogue thereof), characteristic of mammals
    - Probably more stuff

I think it is best to NOT try to classify hylotl by human means, and just kinda roll with the proverbial punches as Chucklefish deals with them. Besides, taxonomy doesnt really work terribly well biologically, because there are a lot of crossovers and stuff. I think.

Gills tend to do that pretty well, I'm thinking.

8. Wreth

Wreth New Member

There are whales IRL that must come to the surface to breathe, but hunt in the deepest depths of the ocean. It's perfectly possible for an animal to evolve to survive at both depths.

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

This.

Hits it right on the mark.
    Just as Florans cant be compared to any Human-like plant types and stuff. Just like Avians showing many different bird-type characteristics.

Cant clasify it as a Human-known species from Earth. Hylotl are unique, just as Florans and Avians are.

10. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I also agree with this, however being the Chucklefish lacks in the lore department. Me don't have much of a choice. However what we should be looking at is the similarities between fish and amphibians.
    • Both are Vertebrates
    • Both are Exothermic (cold-blooded)
    • Both (in small cases) can live on water and land.
    • Both Lay eggs, some can give live birth.
    • Both can breath water (gills, skin, oral cavity (mouth breathers))
    • Both can breath air (lungs)
    • Both can live in ocean environments (mostly fish but there are a few amphibians that can too)
    • Both are aquatic in nature.
    However I do feel that many of us are seeing Hylotl as just black or white and not actually seeing the gray. Amphibians evolved from fish 100 million years after fish. So would it be out of the ball park to say that Hylotl are the in-between species that instead of evolving from to another, they meet the half way point and evolved from there. Like chimera

Think about from what we do know they have a lot of similarities:
    • Vertebrates
    • Can live on water and land
    • Can breath water (my vote is on skin, and oral cavity (mouth breathers).
    • Can breath air
    • Can Fins
    • Have or do live in the ocean at one point in their life.
    • Are aquatic in nature
    • Do have moist skin with dermal scales.
    As far was what type of blooded creature Hylotl's are I feel they are Mesotherm, lay between hot and cold blooded. So really if anything we should look species that have both fish and amphibian qualities. This is what I feel Hylotl are.

11. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Hylotl have gills to "breathe" underwater. That's settled. I would like to stop having to say that.

Other than that, this seems alright. Not so sure about them having scales, my personal belief is that they have rubbery skin, but whatever. Personal taste. I don't think this needs to continue, really. A lot of it is personal taste/headcanon, and it is probably best it stays that way.

12. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Don't the hylotls say air is precious in their underwater cities

13. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I have never seen anything official in the lore the says they have gills. As if you are referring to their armor: well that does not mean they have gills. As it says: Tiy has stated the racial armor bonus for the Hylotl will be the ability to breathe underwater, as well as an increase to swim speed.

14. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

[​IMG]
    Those grey things on her sides.
    Those are pretty much gills.

15. SP3CTR3

SP3CTR3 Flipping Tables at ignorance!

Could be ribs, just sayin'

16. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

Or tiger markings, like the shark.

Very sexy tiger markings oh yeah seafood 2 nite