1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Migrant ship goes missing on voyage to the Antares frontier!

Discussion in 'Archives' started by ituner14, May 31, 2015.

1. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

[Loading Message...]

[Data Received]

[Displaying....]

I've heard that there are Florans in the 'USAF.'

I mean, most USCM boys I've met hate the bloody weeds.

Somehow, I'm not convinced they're connected. Any USCM personnel that would be here are probably currently held up in bunkers right about now. Or so the rumors go.

[MEANYGREENY543]

2. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

We were held up in a bunker a couple of weeks ago. We just recently retook Fort Mattis.

-Frosty

3. CouchPotato360

CouchPotato360 Last Man Standing

[​IMG]
    I'm starting to get the feeling we're damned if we do and damned if we don't. Okay, this is me trying here. Genuinely trying to not to be a cynic and actually provide some insight without the hostility and aggression.
    Think about this: Marines, jarheads, infantry, the boots on the ground, utilizing a fleet of warships/other spacecraft. The most we use are shuttles and dropships that get us from point A to point B, even our TF 77 DSOV is a Navy vessel. It has a dedicated ex-Navy pilot.

As for bunkers, we were in one for the longest time! The Freezer, though it drives you nuts being underground for extended periods, and it's difficult to be self-sufficient without funding or supplies.

Lastly, Florans, that's an issue of tolerance of discrimination. We least try to judge on a case-by-case basis, rather than discriminate against an entire species. That does not mean, however, that we are any less cautious with them.

4. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

[MazAEkial]

I feel like a solid 80% of this argument is over pointless semantics related to two letters and the definition of a "Marine".

We get it. You go by the same distinctions of 21st Century Earth standards. You call yourself the USAF so people understand you're not just "Marines". You claim to be an official occupation of Antares by United Systems forces.

But on the flip-side, if what you're saying is true, the ignorant are confused because they only see "USCM" bases everywhere here, and are not aware of any other titles or groups that represent humanity. Glitch have Hivemind, Avians have their religious groups attributed to Kluex and that faith, Florans have Tribes, Hylotl have...uh, and the Apex have the Miniknog. Simple, clean, memorable. Easy to distinguish. Your claims that the USCM isn't the only part of humanity is complicating it for them.

Now the confusion might be due to the chaos of Earth becoming, as I comically but accurately describe, a Hentai-lover's wet dream. I know my mother couldn't even get treated for an otherwise easily-curable disease when that panic kicked off. The joys of living in remote mining settlements.

TL;DR: We get it. You like semantics. You're following 21st century distinctions. They are apparently still the same according to you. Just publish your letters of authenticity for your occupation of Antares or your stamp of United Systems approval or whatever.

Better yet, just answer the damned question of WHY. BOTHER. SETTING UP. OUT HERE? Unless there's some fancy unique mineral or top-secret classified alien weapon of space magic you've been investigating, I fail to see any valid reason why the United Systems would bother sending an entire unit out HERE in the middle of nowhere, between all the chaos and there simply being more populated places if your're trying to get attention, and less populated areas much closer to home if you're looking for untapped mineral-rich planets for resources.

I for one will even accept a vague "We're investigating something". Just don't give me the "your petty mind cannot begin to understand our strife" arguments every other sentient species gives us as a cheap excuse.

((Personally? I've never been a fan of RP communities trying to make player-character military factions based on in-game armies and claiming to have direct ties to them, especially in a flux-lore in-development game like Starbound. In this case, overhauling the in-game USCM as only a branch of a much larger force and having said force be "active".

Also, in a backwater frontier in the middle of nowhere like Antares, I feel it's best to leave game-based factions for events, I.E. A maximum security criminal escapes a USCM prison ship, and a squad of staff- or trusted-player-controlled USCM soldiers show up looking for them, leaving after finding or not finding him or getting killed which thus prompts more soldiers to investigate. Only involve them if they actually have a reason to bother coming all the way out here what with Chucklecanon being likely more important than our BaRP shenanigans.

Before pointing fingers at the Grounded/Flightless, that's more of a religious/political thing, and you can do things with that like Flightless Extremist groups and such, like has happened.

Why do I feel this way? Mostly in SB's case because, as said, the lore is still up-in-the-air, which is why I try to play my characters (and Antares itself) as sort of off-the-grid, not well versed on current chucklecanon events, and weeks or months behind on them. For all we know, you could be right and the USCM is just one branch of the United Systems' Military. Or I could be right and all military forces fall under the USCM even though semantically speaking yes, Marines don't have a Fleet. Or we could both be wrong and either all of humanity's military has fallen save for rogue groups and impersonators living off of the ruins of their bases, or something else entirely. SB's lore is literally a blog post or codex update away from drastically changing.

Additionally, I think it leaves too much possibility for "suddenly AN ENTIRE IMAGINARY FLEET ARIVES AS BACKUP!" or "we ordered an infinite supply of high-tech weapons from the core worlds to bolster our armories". I don't care if the players are responsible. The possibility is there, and I feel awkward about that.

I could just be a black sheep and Antares is throwing Chucklecanon to the wind, the staff has that right. I'm just giving my perspective.))

5. CouchPotato360

[​IMG]
    It's actually a very long story stretching back over a year, but I'll give you the short version.
    Collect troops for the Task Force, collect funds, resources, and other valuable materials, once we've built up enough strength and something worthy to return home with, we leave. Forever.

6. Tallen

Tallen New Member

*Logged in as [email protected]*

Okay, hold up. This is fucking platinum.

So... you guys need funds and materials. So you spent months in that fucking high-tech bunker, freezing your circuits off and doing Maker knows what, spending money here and there getting your muh-reens cyber limbs and eyeballs and fucking life support... and suddenly money is an issue? Hell, why not ask the people of Antares to buy your services? Better yet, sell your fucking bunkers off and buy whatever the fuck you need. So far all you guys did was hire more marines for... I don't fucking know what reason.

Oh, wait.

Wait.

Really?

I thought you guys were fighting for "the greater good." "Keeping the peace in the sector." "Help this lawless section of space." No. You guys just want to go leave? I mean... if it were any paramilitary group out there with far less bravado than you I would understand... but you guys want to leave? What about the new recruits? Are you dragging them away with you as well? So the entire point of your... ah, United Systems Armed Forces... is to leave Antares forever? And leave a massive power vaccuum behind?

Wow. The teeny tiny itty bitty bite of respect for you guys just evaporated in the span of five seconds.

7. CouchPotato360

[​IMG]
    I am absolutely, positively, entirely heartbroken you feel that way.

8. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

[Loading Message...]

[Data Received]

[Displaying....]

Ha ha!

The 'USAF' shows its true colors!

I knew you guys couldn't be the real U.S.M.C.

Hell, maybe this'll give Antares the peacekeeping force it needs that isn't colony restricted.

[MEANYGREENY543]

9. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

USCM.

-Snake Eyes

10. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

@Snake Eyes

Oh fuck.

Where's that damn edit butto-

[User has logged off.]

11. Fiery Wither Rose

Fiery Wither Rose TheOneMute

[

Please, just shut up. No really, hands off keyboards, mouths away from mics. You revoke your status as sentient beings. Please go die and NEVER, EVER, REPRODUCE, YOU FUCKING RETARDS

YES, RETARDS, WHO REVOKE THEIR BREATHING RIGHTS, AND LIVING RIGHTS. GO DIE YOU SUBPAR TRASH

534436_462893690412527_85143943_n.jpg

Mute

12. Boz0

Boz0 New Member

[Loading Message...]

[Data Received]

[Displaying....]

@Mute

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Earth SEALS, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on MiniKnog, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla (APEX) warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire U.S.C.M. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over starnet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Antares Syestem and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United Systems Colonial Marines and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

[MEANYGREENY543]

13. Raideck

Raideck Member

Pffft look at this meathead squirm.
    -Gerik

14. Tallen

Tallen New Member

*Logged in as [email protected]*

Wow

Wait. That is all? You honestly don't have anything to say in your defense?

You are admitting your own bullshit? In a public forum?

Wow.

You will not be missed.

15. ituner14

ituner14 New Member

((HOLY SHIT THIS BLEW UP! This is meant to be a backstory for an upcoming RP event I am making.))

16. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

[MazAEkial]

1. You have lost any and all respect I had for you, Mute. Congratulations.The Maz Hate Club will happily accept you into their ranks. They have great insurance plans, I hear.

2. Rude. I mean, serriously, Not even an elaboration. Just NOPE. RETARDED. DIE PLZ. You have to at least understand where I'm coming from. That being nowhere.

...the other guy has no excuse, though.

So much aggression on this page! It's absolutely delicious! =D

#56 Mazékial, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  17. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

//Logged in as [email protected]//

I don't know much about the USCM, I was only a member for a short time, but I do know they kicked me out and took everything but the clothes off my back and the few things I had without an investigation, on a hunch. And I was even injured too. Not the best folks.

18. WholesomeBURN

WholesomeBURN New Member

-Thegooddoc94-
    "You all need to calm down. Jeeze! You would think that a news story about a bunch of PEOPLE going missing would be met with prayers and hopes for them to be found. Instead you all argue like an avian having trouble laying an egg!"

19. Solour

Solour a dad

Your story also was full of bullshit than what comes from your mind right now.
    If it was to me, thieves would be dealt with accordingly.
    -B.B.

20. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

//Sent from [email protected]//

"Story." You never investigated it at all. You all just kicked me out even after the doctor found a huge-ass welt on the back of my head and said I had a concussion. Then you all booted me out with no further investigation.