1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

I drew my character!

Discussion in 'Art & Graphics' started by EyesofMarch, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Froot

Froot OH SO VERY NICE

My only complaint would be that she looks like she has a leaf-beard.

2. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

Maybe bigger teeth and a little space between them. Just me, though. I haven't seen enough pictures of Florans (or heard about their anatomy) enough to know how many fangs they'd have.

That's just the first thing I thought of, I see no other issues. Keep it up!
    EDIT; Maybe a bit more detail on stuff like the tank top? Dunno, just thought it looked a lil' /too/ bland.
    I can't really say much, though. I barely do detail on my clothes. But you're more experienced than me obviously!

3. Solour

Solour a dad

i'd hit that all night

WITH A HAMMER

4. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

A WIP of Sarah; something more focused on features and whatnot. Yes her hair looks like a butt and her neck is a bit long under all that scarf but I'm workin' on it xD

Edit:

HOW DO I MAKE IT SMALLER????

5. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Dunno about making the image smaller, but you could try putting it in a spoiler.

6. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I use a bunch of different drawing tools for different stuff. I use paint.net for spriting and resizing. Really, about anything can resize it. You could even probably use MS Paint if you've got it.

Though I never have huge images so what am i saying ;~;

7. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

Sarah McKinley, finished-ish. I MAY edit more, or I just might move onto more pieces now that I have an actual basis for her face and demeanor.

8. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

[​IMG]

Working on a new drawing of Sarah. Using some poses and adding some feelin' to the drawing.

9. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

You have formal training, right? Like you are taking/took art classes at school or uni? Because if you are self-taught I would have to die of shame, being mostly self taught and nowhere near your level.
    Not that I've really practiced much or anything but that's besides the point...
    (btw this is my way of saying your work is amazing d:)

10. Mitzi the Floran

Mitzi the Floran Sufferer of Prawnsequences

Reaching this level of skill isn't as difficult as it may seem, you just have to draw anatomical figures on a regular basis until you get it down then move onto things like the way hair flows and shading.

You are quite talented though, Sarah.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Anyone can become an excellent artist it just takes practice.

12. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

If it was easy and simple, everyone would do it. Some people have to practice hard, others have natural talent. Regardless, lets not intentionally or unintentionally belittle someone's work by making it seem commonplace.

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I wasn't belittling anyone, simply telling Tainted that it was well within the realms of possibility for him to achieve the same skill level without any formal training.

14. Jay

Jay New Member

I enjoy your work! It's awesome that you're trying new poses. There's a lot of cool free stock out there just for poses, SenshiStock is one of my favorites, I use it all the time, maybe you'll find something in there that you can use as well?

I agree that practicing is the best thing anybody can do to improve in art. That said, it can (and most often does) take years of practicing to hone your skills. I have a lot of respect for my fellow artists, because I know very intimately the long, often frustrating hours that go into art. I encourage newcomers to the hobby to practice as much as they can, and if you're really interested in it, consider taking a class or two. It can only help!

15. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

I actually am entirely self taught. I started drawing again about a year ago, so it's taken me awhile to start up again. The reason I struggle so much is I don't exactly have a... Set 'style'. I try to go realistic, but I also mix in some American cartoon style and a dash of anime. I usually re-trace and re-draw a picture like, 4 to 5 times, which is why the background is so messy lol.

Actually Mitzi, it's pretty hard xD. Basic shading and anatomical figures are simple, but once you begin developing your own style and have to re-arrange the shading and figure to reflect that, it gets super difficult lol. Anyone can copy another persons style; it's making your own and adhering to it that's the pain.

But yeah, if you have extreme drive and can channel an emotional connection to your drawings, one of the most important aspects OF drawing I think, than you can easily get very good.

Still WIP, but it's gettin' there quickly. Spent at least 2 hours on it at this point.
    [​IMG]

16. TaintedMythos

TaintedMythos New Member

That's really cool that you're self-taught, gives me motivation to actually try and do something. One of my friends takes art classes and actually had a gallery showing a while ago, and whenever I (somewhat masochistically) show her something I drew she tears it apart by telling me everything I did wrong. My main problem is anatomy. I just can't seem to 'get it' really. Any advice?
    (PS; Your style is actually really cool! It kind of reminds me of the old Ben 10 cartoon and some of the DC cartoons. You don't really need to try drawing realistically if you don't want to. There are plenty of successful cartoonists out there who don't, you could be one of them :D )

17. Node

Node Literal Edgelord

Self-taught is fine, but never forget. ALWAYS. USE. REFERENCE. A lot of self-teaching should come from what you see, not what you know.

Your struggles are not being caused by your lack of style. Its a pretty common mistake to assume that's the problem. Your problems lay more in the realm of lack of knowledge. This is by no means an insult. I am not calling you stupid, or ignorant. You just haven't put in the studies yet. If you want your drawings to improve, you need to put more time into the basics. Understanding simple shapes and forms comes first. Understanding how to draw a series of cubes, cylinders, or spheres in space will dramatically improve your human drawings. Then comes the lack of knowledge in anatomy. Humans have rules. Learning these rules will start to improve your gestures.

Also, use reference. Never don't use reference. Professionals use reference, you can use reference. Hobbyist or Pro, reference helps everyone.

Gonna also debunk your theory on lighting. You almost never need to rearrange shading to reflect your style. Style reflects the simplification of forms, not light. So while it will impact your lighting, the form will still be the driving force to the light.

While I'm on the subject of style, try not to force it. As you begin to better understand shapes, forms, and structure, style will just... happen naturally. Trying to compose your own style based off a bunch other artists (Western cartoons +anime + Realism) still leaves you copying other artists. How you draw is ultimately how you draw. The way you figure out stuff is ultimately going to be different than the way I figure out stuff. So our drawings at the end of the day will always be dramatically different.

Emotional connection is good. Keeps you invested, and interested in drawing. Keep developing theories.

And 2 hours isn't bad for your level, but if you spent some more time on the basic forms first, you could probably clock in a lot faster.

Also, reference.

18. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

NEWER DRAWING!

This one is a little spicier than most on the forums, so I'll just put a mild little disclaimer here. Nothing bad, no booties or boobs so calm yourself children.

[​IMG]

19. NovaZenk

NovaZenk New Member

oooo boy
    wooowee
    *whistle*

20. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

[​IMG]

To those who think this is serious:
    You're dumb.
    This is satire.