1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Concerns concerning Account Upgrades

Discussion in 'Announcements and Information' started by Kazyyk, May 11, 2015.

1. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Hello, everyone.

I've heard some concerns about the Account Rewards. I'd like to clarify a few things about them here.
    Account Rewards were added as an attempt to seize an opportunity to generate more income for the community and myself. I am poor. I am dirt poor. I can barely afford to sustain this whole shindig.

Donations were barely being met - one month we didn't meet them, it's fortunate that I had some spare cash on hand. I need Antares to become self-sufficient and I need anything that can help keep my personal life afloat. This is a big reason why the Account Rewards were added and why I now take 5% of all income to keep.

However, these rewards weren't just added to get money. They were added with care and as a way to reward donations better. Gone are the days of titles, banners, and other shenanigans. You can get real value for your money now. I've carefully adjusted these benefits so that they are fair and non-advantageous, a convenience rather than a boon. Nobody will receive preferential treatment for their contributions - only the cold mechanical benefits that come with the purchase.

You may think of them as a paywall. Features that should be free but are no longer. Fret not, for this is not the case. If a particular forum has need for frequent edits, then that forum automatically has unlimited edit time as a part of it. The edit times only apply to standard forums where a low edit time won't severely restrict the quality of a thread or post. Again, these rewards are for convenience purposes.

I need to re-coup the costs of this expansion operation as well as make enough to sustain current endeavors while making additional for further expansion operations down the road. I want to grow Antares into a fully fledged gaming community spanning across many games and I cannot do this without financial support from the community. It's simply impossible for me to do on my own right now, I don't make enough to sustain myself let alone a gaming community.

I've done this thing out of hope. Hope that this will flourish and become something that'll begin to sustain itself. Something I can pour my heart and soul into and help make wonderful. Something that people will use and appreciate and find enjoyment in. A place where friends can be made and games shared and played.

But it all depends on you. You can't rely on others to help. They may not. They might, but you don't know. Any possible way you can help is the life blood of this whole thing and I can't express my appreciation enough for everyone who contributes.

That's all I've got to say about the topic tonight.

Cheers,
    Kaz
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431334699,1431333432][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, by the way, I'll allow previous donators to have their equivalent contribution in Reward perks. All you need to do is send me a message and I'll verify your donation and apply your reward.

#1 Kazyyk, May 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  2. Zephzer

Zephzer Level Over 9000

Hey is there a way to see what like the monthly goal is like we had on the old site? I kinda liked seeing that. I might just be blind and missing it though.

3. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

So is the upkeep of this new forum greater or do you just need to make up the initial cost?

4. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

It was removed because I felt that it was stifling donations. People would see that the meter was met and would stop donating. We need continued donations so that we can grow.

The upkeep is greater due to licensing fees of several features of the forum that expire every 6 months to a year. I also need to make up the initial cost to pay back some loans.

5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Ah okay. Good to know.

6. Darkwhip

Darkwhip That Russian-Canadian-Nazi

Does that mean you now keep 5% of the donations for yourself ?

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

That's what it says, yes.
    EDIT: Not anymore. I used to. Now it all goes back into Antares like the old days.

#7 Kazyyk, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015