1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Novakids's products and such.

Discussion in 'Roleplay Planning' started by Darkwhip, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Yotan

Yotan New Member

You guys really need to do your homework. -> Link

'Anodyne' are actually a subspecies of Novakid, in which the brand is ingrown and not present on the outer surface of the Nova -- in fact, the ingrown brand is not visible at all. The brand is still within the Anodyne, however, and is still performing all functions of a regular Nova's brand.

2. Darkwhip

Darkwhip That Russian-Canadian-Nazi

I knew there was an explanation to it ! Thanks Yotan :D

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Actually Anodyne are one of the two races that inspired the creation of the Novakid.

The Novakid's existence in Starbound is due to a competition chucklefish held where you got to create a race and the winner would be implemented into Starbound. The Novakid and the Anodyne were the two winners and the combination of the two of them resulted in the Novakid we know in Starbound today.

4. Yotan

Yotan New Member

No Problem.

5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

I'll accept this logic, it works perfectly fine.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Also I believe Plutonium is radio active as Uranium.

7. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

i can't find this written anywhere in to-date lore. Any mention of it is in mods for additional races. So, not necessarily. Gotta have a brand until I can see evidence not from 2 years ago.

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

It is in the Q&A of page 1, there are two links about the Anodyne. Also if you look creating a Novakid, there is a brand selection where you can choose not to have a brand. Not sure what more you are questioning.

9. Darkwhip

Yeah it was the subject of argumentation. Look above.

10. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

It is to be noted that these are from April 2013, and at this point they were a player creation as far as I know.

If the stuff on this page is confirmed by chucklefish to be the lore then alright, have at it. I honestly don't care that much for novakids, but the idea of having a brandless nova kid bothered me nearly as much as the novakid race does in the first place.

11. Darkwhip

If you see Starbound on a science fiction and realism view, I can understand your point, but I say that Starbound is also mixed with some Fantasy. Why ? Because HOW curious that the other race are based on birds and fish and plants ? AND ALL are humanoids.

12. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

BUT, we keep it as realistic as possible. Not everything has to be an "eh it's scifi" answer. If we can't find an answer it shouldn't exist, because theoretically it couldn't in the real future. Aliens might be the only exception.

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Starbound is clearly Science fantasy, not science fiction

14. Darkwhip

Exacly Like Wreth said, Science Fantasy.

15. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

It seems the evidence is in favor of the Brandless.

Since there is an option in the character creation program system to have no brand on a novakid, it must therefore be a thing from Chucklefish's standpoint. Case closed. Go be free and make your brandless novakids.

16. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

There is also a Floran that speaks without a hiss, but we've ruled against the decisions of Chucklefish in the past. Not saying that the staff has made a decision on this, only that people can't pull up evidence as an excuse only when it's something they like, and dismiss it when it's something they don't.

17. Wreth

Wreth New Member

This literally affects nothing but the appearance of a novakid's face. The ones without a visible brand still have a brand and all the weaknesses one entails. It's just not visible.

18. Darkwhip

Indeed.

What's the point anyway ? If I decide to make a Floran who was raised by Apexes, why would you not allow that floran to speak normally without hisseing ? Worst, what's the point of trying to figure out something if we can't even use evidences/proofs about it ?

Correct me if I misunderstand what you've said, but otherwise this is really ridiculous.

19. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

My point was that people have used the evidence of the 'non-hissing' Floran, and other people said "No that's stupid, we don't want it." Ultimately we (not I, I still believe that Florans should be able to not have their hiss) made a rule stating that Florans have to hiss. So evidence doesn't necessarily translate to implementation. I'm not arguing for or against 'brandless' Novakids. As long as they are roleplayed as having a brand SOMEWHERE, it's fine.

20. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Well perhaps evidence based lore should have priority over people's personal headcanon.