1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

99% sure they dont have scales, as said above. You are being led astray by these heathens. See the light once more.

2. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Agreed, there's only one class of Amphibians known that have scales and those are worm-like creatures.
    So it's possible the Glitch was being metaphorical. It's also possible the Hylotl are a weird species of scaled amphibians, because ALIEN (to earth) lifeforms!

Item descriptions say that Hylotl "bathe" by swimming. Which isn't THAT hygenic.
    http://starbounder.org/Dripping_Basic_Bath
    [​IMG] Hylotl: A trough in which humans wash. We Hylotl simply go for a swim.

Even then you must keep in mind that all races have a natural odour and that the Florans have an advanced sense of smell.
    http://starbounder.org/Apex_Captain's_Chair
    [​IMG] Floran: SSsmells of Apex butt.

So they'll always smell like Hylotl, which is completely natural for all races, but i think it may be more so for the Hylotl, but not in a bad way where they actively "stink".

It may serve as some sort of protection against the salt water on their skin.

3. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

My only issue with saying "The lisps is physiological!" is that we use translators, and that if the lisp is caused by 'not having lips', then there are a good 5 billion* other sounds they should not be able to make, but make without a problem. And while Avians can be excused by the fact that birds tend to have more advanced vocal chords, that translator bit is still rather important.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see an army of lispless Florans, but I am still against their outright restriction.

*This may or may not be hyperbole

#143 Felonious, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  4. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Analysis. Your species' biology is made up of seventy percent salt water.

((Glitch to Hylotl))

So does this imply that Hylotl can "drink" salt water? Aside from their inability to breathe underwater, they do share some characteristics with salt-water fish, perhaps?

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/pas...2o-life/life-in-water/surviving-in-salt-water

Perhaps the mucuous the Hylotl excrete contains a high amount of salt? This would also explain why they're so... Salty...
    *Badumm tissss*

#144 Khaltor, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  5. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Hylotl would definitely have scales how is this even a discussion we're having. They'd just be really smooth to the point of being unnoticeable. The only alternative is they're like dolphins or some shit but they ain't even fish yo

6. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Dolphins are mammals, not fish.
    Hylotl are amphibians, not fish, but it does seem like they share some characteristics of fish.

7. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Thank you for this I totally didn't know that.

8. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Why are we still discussing whether the hylotl have scales? They don't. End of discussion.

Secondly, "salt water". Humans technically have salt water in them. If you hook an IV up to someone with distilled water in it, you will KILL THEM. That's why we have saline solutions. Heh, chemistry jokes. This is a fantasy sci fi game, unfortunately, and what you're doing right now is trying to come up with a scientific explanation for something fantastical. But I will humor you.

Because of our lack of understanding about alien life in real life, we cannot assume that extraterrestrial organisms will have the same homeostatic criteria we have. Examples are body temperature (37 for humans), elemental base (carbon for humans) and concentration of salts in the bloodstream/body.

Assuming what the glitch said was fact, then that is the assumed homeostatic equilibrium concentration of salt in the bloodstream. AKA, a healthy hylotl has a lot of salt in them. Thus, there would be no problem with excreting excess salt, because there is no excess.

9. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Another thing. We are using earth-based classification systems to classify aliens, which is not necessarily correct.

It isn't insane to propose a race of seemingly human-mammal-fish hybrids. For all we know, the environment on their homeworld favored beings like that, and that's why they evolved that way. I'm not saying we stop using terms like "amphibian", which the hylotl most certainly are. I'm saying we should not necessarily be bounded by the traits amphibious organisms on earth have, and do not have.

10. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

This thread looks like a lot of 'my head canon is better than your head canon' with a few sprinkles of 'here are facts about biology on earth that definitely apply to life on other planets'.

11. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

12. Awe

Awe Gotta go fast!

Turn down those sass levels, you double posted as I was posting.

13. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

Sorry about that, my bad.

Awe does have a point. We're making shit up now. I mean, sure, I'm using science but this is a fantasy game so unfortunately that's screwed. We should focus less on annoying things that dont matter. No one wants to sound like that annoying guy who always corrects people when they say things like "Me and Jim are going to the dance".

Chucklefish probably made this game to be fun and childishly simple, not ridiculously complex and detailed. Let's not try and force it.

14. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

'Twas just my attempt at trying to give the Hylotl physiology some more depth.

15. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

I would post some of the names from the name generator but that's just too soft on fucklecish

16. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Keep it civil. This is supposed to be a discussion, not an argument.

17. Rezima

Rezima New Member

I posted this in a private conversation recently, but it applies here as well,

18. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

I agree with this on the technological side of things, but I very much enjoy looking for special, deeply hidden stuff in the lore that differentiates the different races from eachother, at least physically, so it changes the RP experience.

On a side note: is the information provided by the original creator of the Novakid regarded as canon, in combination with the small amounts of lore chucklefish gave when they introduced the race?

#158 Khaltor, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  19. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Not sure if it is canon or not, but most players don't really play novakids as they are portrayed by the lore anyway. They have the cowboy thing down, but I haven't really seen that many ADD starmen yet

20. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Well, i mean about their physiology, I'd like to make another article but this time one featuring the Novakid.
    This time it wouldn't be so hard because Bietol, their original creator, has already made a post about their biology and answered some questions about them on his thread, which i can utilise. People are already RP-ing that a Novakid explodes when it dies, which isn't mentioned in any of the "canon" Starbound sources. So i'd assume Bietol's version is mostly regarded canon.

This is a part of the backstory of someone's Novakid character, she lost at poker and the guy wanted a child off of her, which is referred to as a Protokid, this term is only used in Bietol's posts.

This "canon" information from http://playstarbound.com/stretch-goal-1-the-novakids/ suggests that Novakid don't explode on death. Perhaps Chucklefish thougt that'd be a bit annoying if one was trying to stab a Novakid?
    ((Hss, Floran sstab gassbag! -BOOM-))

#160 Khaltor, May 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2015