1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 24, 2015.

1. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

Agreed with three posts above.

Personal view on the Glitch prefix is that all Hiveminded Glitch use it, but the ones who become self-aware can resist the reflex to use it and eventually overcome it. Or through hardware/software modifications if they have the skill/know someone with the skill to handle the operation.

In Ser_John's case, he simply can't be arsed to stop using it, and meets formerly-Hiveminded Glitch so often there's little reason to get rid of it.

And my cents tossed in the Well of Opinions, I'll retire for this evening.

2. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

It's definitely worth discussing. Though in regards to the Glitch prefixes, I personally heard some (possible?) head-canon that explained that Glitch always use this prefix, but that other Glitch don't hear it, since it registers automatically in their head. This sort of stuff looks unimportant, but it's largely there for flavor, which is vital in an RP setting. Discussion of it with staff is always open, as with anything else.

3. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

So am i to put off any RP with Oak untill this thing has been discussed?

4. Avis

No, of course not. This has been a pretty on-going topic, for about as long as Starbound's been around.

5. Wreth

Wreth New Member

It's true, Glitch aren't actually aware they are using prefixes, and don't hear each other using them. It's subconscious for them

6. Mazékial

Mazékial New Member

This. If we get to the point where ALL Floran are perfectly civilized planty space-elves, all we've done is create a new stereotype that is honestly worse than the chucklecanon one because it negates one of the things that make Florans unique as a species. Same goes for prefix-less Glitch, war-mongering Hylotl, dumb Apex, etc.

Not to say "NO ABSOLUTELY NOT NEVER, ALWAYS STICK TO THE STEREOTYPE". but if you decide to break it, don't make it instant. Give, say, a Floran time in RP trying to repress the lisp, etc.

7. Avis

The Floran lisp is a poor example of it since it's been largely argued for as physiological, but yes; we try to reinforce racial attributes more than say they're absolutely necessary. There have been many points in the server where all of one race has comprised of the snowflake stereotypes we all love to hate; pacifist Florans, ninja Hyltol, "feathersuit" Avians, big dumb brute Apex, you name it. The server has been around plenty long enough (And all the mods have been here nearly since the beginning) to have seen the vast majority of trends, so we try to make rules, suggestions, or expectations for the community accordingly.

8. Yotan

Yotan New Member

It may be before my time. However I didn't know such till i posted an inquiry about it. See the issue? I also am aware the server is based on eastern time.

9. Solour

Solour a dad

the issue is it was accidentally buried, with changes. And yes, Z-time is EST.

10. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

If hive-Glitch only use it when they're speaking to non-Glitch, it's possible they are able to completely abandon the custom once they've become outcasts.

11. Avis

I believe the idea is that the Glitch aren't even aware that they use the prefix. However, I'm not 100% on that.

12. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I think they are only aware of using prefixes when they are free from the hivemind and become more sentient.

13. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

Since we're encouraging Floran lisps and Glitch prefix usage, we should probably "encourage" that Hylotl have a distinct salt-water-creature smell and are covered in some sort of mucuous substance (or slime) and they have scales.

Source: Npc dialogue

Floran NPC villager to Hylotl:
    "Much love, slimy Hylotl."
    "Floran know the truth, ssslime. Leave now."
    "Floran know truth, slime. Leave now."
    "Floran not want you here, slimefish."
    "Greenfinger sssay ssslimy fish enemy of Florans!"
    "Ssslime fish ssshould fear Floran."
    "Ssslimy beast!"

- That could still be Floran racism, right? -

Avian NPC villager to Hyltotl:
    "Hah. You're slimy."

- Guess again! Florans and Avians don't often agree on the same things. -

Floran NPC villager to Hylotl:

"Filthy ssstinky fish not touch Floran."
    Ssstinky sssea creature alert."

- That could still be Floran racism, right? -

Glitch NPC villager to Hylotl:
    "Sceptical. For a species that lives underwater, you don't smell very clean."
    "Nostalgic. Your scent reminds me of my trips to the beach as a young Glitch."

- Guess again! One is an insult and may be a racist remark, considering the Glitch are friends of the Floran, but the other one is pretty neutral.

Glitch NPC villager to Hylotl:
    "Mirthful. Holster it now before you shoot your scales off."
    - They have scales. -

14. Avis

Keep in mind that the rule isn't meant to single out Florans or Glitch, it simply uses them as an example. That being said, disagreement with it is welcome, just bring up why you disagree, and staff are willing to discuss it, just like anything else.

With that out of the way, its true that the Hylotl probably have scales, and are probably slimy in some way. Whether or not they smell should really be more up to the player, but the other two seem to just be physiological certainties. I personally dont see much Hylotl role play anyways, save for a few characters, so it's not as big of a discussion. Glitch and Florans were used as an example due to how common they are. However, this stuff is still up for debate. That's part of why this thread is here, but it's really more so for more.. Encompassing things than whether or not Florans must hiss, so a separate suggestion thread (maybe even with a poll) is more fitting.

15. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

That's exactly why i didn't make a seperate thread about it, someone else did, but i don't think the community should vote for it. The problem with democracy is that if the community has a certain view on something they can ban it without the need of justification. For example: USA gay marriage. There's no point in not allowing it, or making it seperate from a heterosexual marriage. But politics aside, i was partly joking with my Hylotl rant. Thing is that every race has some details, that if you go digging (I literally dug through 1700 item descriptions, any lore codexes referencing hylotl and npc dialogue) are often totally forgotten, or obscure enough to ignore.

In my opinion, it is fact that Hylotl probably smell like salt water creatures, but Florans have a heightened sense of smell and the Glitch's sense of smell is pretty analytical as well.
    They obviously have scales, no doubt about that. And they probably exude some slimey substance, perhaps not that much, but Florans and even Avians, because everyone dislikes Hylotls (or every race has members who dislike Hylotls) call them slimey to insult them, for a reason. They're probably not as slimy as a snail, but I think you can compare it with people who have sweaty palms.

Edit: to elaborate on the shortcomings of democracy:

If you are stranded on an island with 1 female and 4 horny, lazy, evil males. It would be considered a vote of 80% vs 20% that she do all the work, and becomes a slave, in all senses of the word. That'd be democratic. But it wouldn't be justified, as it is ethically wrong to do something like that.

I'm not saying the community sucks, but some may have a strong OOC dislike of Florans, so their vote could be opionated instead of rational.

#135 Khaltor, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2015
  16. Khaltor

Khaltor Lore Master

A select group of lore enthusiasts, staff members and player-assistants would be nice, in order to deliberate on these topics, and possibly start canonizing or modifying our own lore.

17. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Pick me, pick me!

18. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Pick me!

19. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

The hylotl, in my opinion, ought not have scales. No amphibian does, their skin is permeable. They're more froglike than anything else. It's very likely that the glitch who said that single quote was merely being metaphorical, seeing that everyone calls them fish, which is, of course, a misnomer.

Sliminess, I am completely okay with. It would make sense that they have some slippery mucuous membrane.

Regarding smelliness, it is very possible that these can be taken care of with regular bathing and deodorants. Maybe your character is assumed to not bathe regularly because, he/she is after all, in the context of the game, an adventurer.

20. Not A President

Not A President [help me]

all of those r34 pics without scales
    i've been mislead