1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Official Lore Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Can't have realism and fun. People need to make up their minds.

2. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Of course we can!

3. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Up to a point then it's all trench warfare, sickness, death and exploitation everywhere.
    [​IMG]

4. Optimism

Optimism Guest

All the words you just said can make for realism and funs if it remains in character. Many funs. Besides, the server, as in the general population who plays on it, will never make up their minds. Best to be content with what we've got.

5. Raideck

Raideck Member

I have fun with realism so ya know...

6. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I'm more for a Star Wars kind of technology level.
    With a dash of Mass Effect tech for the fun of it, minus biotics.
    Would be some limits of what would be possible, of course.

The game is already in a pretty unrealistic setting on some areas, so why not go full-blown so everyone can have a good time while still keeping a bit of sanity so it wont go overboard?

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Personally I go with realism and what's actually possible, unless Starbound's lore says otherwise. Then I go with that.

8. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

I go with realism unless the sacrifice of it can improve roleplay. It makes it difficult to RP science lab stuff when we already have machines that can sequence a gene in hours. Whatever facilitates the best RP is what I generally go with.

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Current ancient gate technology is pretty out of realism bounds.

10. Toadkid1234

Toadkid1234 New Member

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Roleplay doesn't have to be about realism as it pertains to our world (real life), but only as it pertains to the setting.

12. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Keep in mind, a lot of people tend to think in extremes. They'll throw out realism and make their characters capable of dodging bullets and charging a gunman with a sword because it happens in anime, or they'll be super gritty realists (Who usually end up being somewhat unrealistic anyways). Moderation is key. That's why we have rules and such, and ask your guys' opinions on these things; so we can all find that balance.

13. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Exactly. What's ''realistic'' in a roleplay server set in the real world, and what's ''realistic'' in the Starbound universe are two different things.

14. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We go for a balanced blend of acceptable realism and a fun level of scifi tech.

A aimbotted gun could realistically be made, yes. But we don't allow it because it is not fair or balanced and would ruin fun for most players. meanwhile we have unrealistic gates and teleporters, but keep them because they are fun and fit the setting!

Balance is key,

15. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

Mostly if crossing out a realistic idea because it is not fun for a few people and -may- be able to be abused. (i've been on this server since early january 2014 and I've seen 1-2 counts of abuse of tech and both were handled). So AKA Realism =/= Fun.

16. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Glad to be of assistance to all my comrades in derailing this thread from its title's subject matter.

This is a good quote.
    This quote is all you need to know to have fun and realism.
    This quote is all you really need to know.

17. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Another thought came to me after reading several of the character journals. Universal time/date system. Several of the journals use and odd set of dates. I want to clarify that I am not pointing finger, or wanting to offend anyone. However I think have universal date and time system would be useful to the lore. These are a few examples of what are being used currently:
    • Year 3, Month 6, Day 19
    • Interstellar Date: April 5th, 2515
    • Date: 4/11/2415
    • 3/16/2415
    • Saved 8/21/14
    I am not saying adopt a StarTrek stardate system but perhaps we could come up with a way so that give date system at the time of the server. Something simple. like a set up as yyyy.mmdd. So today's date will be 2015.0414, tomorrow looks like 2015.0415, etc. If your feeling zealous add like tens of thousands, thousands, or several hundred years to the date to make it more starbound-ish.

#97 Yotan, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  18. Wreth

Wreth New Member

It's just different countries' way of doing things. If the character is British then they will do dates dd/mm/yyyy
    Whilst an american character would do mm/dd/yyyy

Earth was destroyed but it was recently within the player character's lifetime. In fact if you are playing a human that was not in the military or in prison at the time of the attack, then your character likely experienced the tentacle monster attack themselves.

Because the destruction of earth was so recent, people from the different countries would have their culture's way of doing things still.

Generally the accepted date on the server is the real world's date, with 400 years added on. Therefore IC it is 14/04/2415

19. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I understand that. I didn't put false examples of what is being use. I just found it odd. Sense the server is looking to have it's own lore. Might as well start with the basics as well. I get the format situation that why I simply suggested changing it, but whatever. 400 plus years it is.

#99 Yotan, Apr 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  20. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

it was 400? Holy crap I always thought it was 500. Time to edit.