1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

SAY YOUR WORDS AT REZIMA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Hello Antares! I am that lady with the unhealthy fascination with birds, and I would like to talk to you, if you are willing. There have been a lot talk recently about censorship, unjust bans, concerns about the stagnation of the server, 'toxicity/hug-boxes' and dissatisfaction with the Antares staff. I know that there have been problems here recently, I have been reading what you have all been saying and I would like to help alleviate your concerns as best I can.

I am creating this thread for the sole purpose of answering questions, addressing concerns and fixing any problems we might have as a server. Post here with any question and concerns you have about anything and I will try to answer you as quickly and clearly as possible with full transparency. This thread will remain open for the foreseeable future, I hope to hear from you all soon!

2. Raideck

Raideck Member

Are YOU a bird?

3. Tallen

Tallen New Member

We can talk about torture and death and guns, but a picture with the word "faggot" is crossing the line?

4. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

There are homosexual people in our community, and a number of them have experienced a lot of harassment for it. A derogatory word like that being used OOC hits a little too close to home for some. I'd wager that there aren't a lot of torture victims here (And gratuitous detail in torture isn't even allowed anyways).

5. meanwhile

meanwhile drunk cyberpunk catgirl

someone used the word "faggot"?

literally hitler

As a bisexual, I personally don't take much offence to 'homophobic' words. Sure, I hate homophobic people, but to me it's just another word to use rather than 'gay'. I happily call myself a faggot, because I'm bi with male preference.

6. Raideck

Raideck Member

Faggot is a cigarette

7. Dimmie

Dimmie New Member

Why does IC censorship exist? The only one I agree on is keeping sexual content outside of the ingame server.
    and by IC censorship I mean that whole debacle with slavery, the fact that you can't go into gratuitous detail when torturing, so on and so on.

I understand the desire to keep a PG13 community but there's a reason why many games have a 'Rating may change online' on them. I'm still rather new, but isn't the community mature enough to handle the topics respectfully?

Then again I have no idea how many people here may be under the age of 18...

I just answered my own question didn't I?

8. Solour

Solour a dad

[​IMG]
    Seriously just ignore them its the internet why hasnt a certain SOMEONE realize that.
    not you two, but they know who im talking about.

9. meanwhile

The only time cyber bullying can't be solved by turning off the screen is when it goes viral, and people recognise you in completely different places.

10. Tallen

Tallen New Member

The use of a single word is so terrible one is completely at a loss when it shows up in an unrelated image to poke fun at another member of the community? So much it must be deleted by the mods entirely? I don't agree with it, but okay then.

11. Raideck

Raideck Member

*shrug*

12. CaptainBritton02

CaptainBritton02 Man of War

I dunno if you were here when skipi/sen and the rest were at the height of their reign, doing by definition forcing characters into death by avoiding consent rules and also cyberbullying. AKA they said alot of words, that fucked up alot of people.

13. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

In which case, call the cops, then you can sue the mofos and get a crapton of money off of damages. Joke's on them suckas.

14. meanwhile

To be fair, one person's joke is another person's insult. Say, some random homosexual who had a shitty life because of his homosexuality scrolled past an image saying "faggot", it would hurt them quite a bit.

15. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

If a post is deleted simply because the word was used once, then feel free to bring it up in a report or something of that nature. When a word or two is the only problem in a post, mods usually prefer editing the post to be more appropriate, and usually explaining it to the player as well.

People shouldn't have to resort to turning off the screen because one person didn't feel like acting appropriately. We try to make the community a place for anyone to be able to enjoy. Keep in mind that with moderation, use of obscenities is generally acceptable IC, since you should separate yourself personally from IC interactions. However that only goes so far, so we ask that people still keep some kind of good taste in mind during RP.

16. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

I feel as though using profanities isn't something that should be inherently censored, if only not used against anybody. I'm all for the guy calling someone else a 'faggot' getting his shitposting deleted if the only reason is to troll. However if you're just using the word casually and you aren't targeting anyone, I don't see why it should be censored.

I get called a bunch of names in the internet. Hasn't hurt me, and I've had my share of problems in real life too. Nothing I couldn't fix though.

17. meanwhile

The problem with the internet is that just some simple sorcery can turn what you intend to be offensive into something that sounds casual. I only know you as Shagmeister, and to me you're a block of text. I know nothing of your real intentions because it takes no effort to mask your identity on the internet. For all I know, you could hate my guts and you don't even need to put effort into hiding that.

18. Rezima

Rezima New Member

No, but I have vivid dreams

We personally find the gratuitous torture scenes to be a little much, but we didn't have a problem with them until players began to complain about them. And there are more than a few LGBT people on the server, I am bisexual myself. Some people are not bothered by the language, but others are. As such we would prefer players refrain from using offensive, derogatory or ableist language, we know it will still happen, but we would like to keep it to a minimum

Again, some people are perfectly okay with it. I don't really like the word, but it doesn't bother me much. But some players on the server ARE bothered by it, and there is no real justification to calling someone a faggot maliciously, so don't do it.

Technically correct, but that is not common language and that is never really how people use it.

We are a mostly mature server, most players are 18+. but we have several who are not, and we like to keep them in mind when we write policies, and history has shown that slavery and torture are not typically handled in a mature way. you can do gratuitous torture off the server if all players agree to it, but we like to treat it like sexual content. We personally don't pay it much mind, but keep it off the server as it bothers some. Slavery was sometimes handled well, but more often than not it involved a player being kidnapped and then immediately sold off to a random player to be freed for obscene amounts of randomly acquired money, this killed the economy, players took issue with this, so we stopped slavery.

19. Rezima

Rezima New Member

And political correctness aside, this is not really a hot issue. Just be mindful that some players are more sensitive than others and try not to be intentionally offensive and everything will be just fine.

20. Raideck

Raideck Member

Do you love me?