1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Help with Character Image Avatar Things

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Altair, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Altair

Altair New Member

So, I've been doing a lot on the forums lately, and I noticed that almost everyone has images of their character in their signature. i, being a general newb at all things Starbound RP, don't know how to do this myself. I wouldn't post this thread if I could find a tutorial, buuuuut I can't.
    So yeah.

2. Altair

Altair New Member

Halp meh plox...

3. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I'm pretty sure all those people do is take a screenshot of their character, then crop it and use it as their signature. I could be wrong, but that's how I would go about it if I were you (unless there's a simpler method I don't know about).

4. Altair

Altair New Member

Whenever I crop using MSpaint or Photoshop, it gives me a background. How do I not have that occur?

5. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Erasing the background manually may be the only thing you can do once you crop it, it should work.

6. Altair

Altair New Member

Photoshop erases weirdly, and MSpaint leaves white behind. Is there a program I should use, like GIMP or something?

7. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

I personally use GIMP, and I do recommend it, but Photoshop should work. You may need to add an Alpha layer when you erase the background, otherwise you'll probably end up with that white background instead.

8. Tallen

Tallen New Member

Photoshop, create a layer to erase the white background, then save as a .png or (ideally) a .tiff to use it as a signature.

Need help? Send it to me and I can do it for you.

#8 Tallen, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2015
  9. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Also, using SBSE, you can export a character as a png file. Its pretty helpful. Its one of the of the buttons in the main menu.