1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Felith; and his robot body.

Discussion in 'Character Discussion' started by GuardianPotato, Nov 10, 2014.

1. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

Alright so for an explanation. After Felith got fucked up like 10 times too many, his organic body started failing him. Long story short, he contacted a friend and they agreed to slap his brain in a new one. Robotic, synthetic outer layer. The entire process took two days to complete. Now when he gets injured he has to show up to said friend to get repaired. (Who I might add, had been the one repairing his cybernetics before he got put in the body). This new one has a little above average strength/speed. And that's about the jist of it. He's still got a few trinkets inside of him. 3/4 of them being melee weapons, fourth being his wrist device. He has to recharge every night, or his battery will die, and thus he will die.

Thoughts, concerns, questions, fire away. *Braces for impact*

2. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Reposting our conversation from the other thread.

3. GuardianPotato

ALRIGHT. First of all; cybernetics arn't really an issue, as its not metal connected to organic. Its all metal (For the most part). As for the fear; damn straight he was afraid. Does that mean he's gonna panic? -Hell no-. He's been in some type of military for over half of his time on the server. Of course he's gonna chose fight instead of flight.

And as for the repair bit. He NEEDS it to be repaired by someone else, he himself doesn't know how to. So if he's stuck in a combat situation or something, he's fucked. And also, his battery leaks more energy when there's holes in him. So thus he can't just walk around full of holes anyways. Unlike normal people who can get the stuff sewed up by someone with basic life saving training. He needs someone that's specialized in repairing him to do it. Who isn't always with him 24/7.

As for the pain bit; I admit that was on me. I over exaggerated his pain tolerance. Yes he -has- a high one. But your flesh literally melting sucks.

4. GuardianPotato

ALSO! RA has no part in this, besides him being in it. Its purely a 3rd party repairing him.

5. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Yeah. So that SHOULD play out as RPing a glitch. Instead, I'm seeing and hearing about a lot of powergaming and super strength.

Sure. But after he discovered that the Apex were Miniknog after searching the bodies, you told me that he "didn't care". He wasn't fearing for his own life, or the lives of his loved ones.

There are a lot of people who RP mechanics. It probably isn't very hard to just take a generic robotic body part and use it to replace Felith's.

And "basic life-saving training"? Pulling bullets out of people and dealing with damaged organs isn't normally very basic. Specialized surgeons should be just as hard for humans to find. And what about Florans, hylotl, generic glitch? Are you telling me that it's easier to find repairmen and surgeons for them?

You've been on the server long enough to realize that that's NEVER okay. It should be obvious that a high pain tolerance shouldn't come into play when you're having your body melted apart. Take your lumps.

Yeah, so if he isn't getting money from the RA, where is he getting it from? I can imagine cybernetics would require a LOT of money. I mean, a cybernetic arm would probably cost thousands at the least, but replacing your entire body? Every vital organ, every appendage, a realistic-- yet synthetic --avian appearance... Where does the money for that come from?

6. Raideck

Raideck Member

So let's calm down, but yeah where's all that money?

7. GuardianPotato

He uh. Didn't have to pay for it. Not even joking. He just literally owes the person his life.

And as for the mechanics; yeeeah nope. Mechanics specialize in one thing, and one thing only. Like cars, ships, engines, radios, etc etc. That's an issue with the server. A mechanic isn't a fix-all person. As for basic life-saving. I mean stabilizing more than anything. Quick clot, medical foam, patch it over, he wont die anytime soon. That doesn't work for Felith.

(Also, if the bullet isn't corrosive or anything, its perfectly fine to leave it in, as long as its not blocking anything important)

And as for the Mini-Knog thing; they said they were out for the robot, not anything else. So why worry?

8. GuardianPotato

ALSO! As for the power gaming bit. Mind clarifying on that?

9. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

not OP at all

10. GuardianPotato

Very helpful.

11. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

: )

12. DavidHeinrich

DavidHeinrich Space Corps Judge

If his body is fully synthetic, he really shouldn't be any more powerful than a normal Glitch; and he definitely shouldn't be played that way. Not to mention that having a synthetic body and it being a disadvantage because that's hard to repair doesn't seem much of a disadvantage at all; presumably, the Glitch have doctors who can do it. Not to mention that, to be honest, saying that it's a disadvantage that he needs to be repaired from injuries that would kill a normal human being instantly is a bit silly.

13. GuardianPotato

I have never once said he's more powerful than a normal glitch. No idea where that came from...

As for the disadvantages, there really are none specific that I can think of; because there is no NEED to have any. Or reason to. He is, to put it simply, a glitch. So what possible disadvantages could there be?

(I'm genuinely asking)

14. DavidHeinrich

DavidHeinrich Space Corps Judge

Glitch do not have those bonuses. A normal, every day Glitch also would not likely be able to get shot to the point that their arm is blown off and then pick themselves up and kill 6 people like a Terminator.

15. GuardianPotato

I uh, never said he could. And as for the strength/speed, bumping that down to just strength. And that's mostly because servos > muscles. As far as I know.

And the trinkets are small, small. To the point of not being good in straight up melee combat. AKA wrist blade < sword. Along with his other two weapons.

16. JimHarrison

JimHarrison Grouchy Player

I think the point is that you recover from things and get accustomed to your robit parts way too fast with not enough hindrance to your like, daily routine.

17. GuardianPotato

Yeah. That was my main issue. I'll admit that. But its too late to fix that now.

18. OmegaMatt

OmegaMatt Last But Not Least

PREPARE FOR THE WALL OF TEXT. (There are a lot of posts going on while i'm typing this so.... that too)

So the title of this thread is "Felith and his robot body". And of course people have stated their problems with said robot body, we could discuss cybernetics, what's realistic, what's too advanced, etc, but in my opinion we aren't going to get anywhere with that. Starbound lore is far, far from hard scifi; the way technology is handled is all over the place. So yeah, my egg-head hylotl is struggling just to invent an exo skeleton to aid him in walking; while other scientists could accomplish the same feat in a few days; I don't really care, I'll tell my story and they'll tell theirs. What am I getting at then? I think the problem lies more in the "Felith" half of the title.

Don't get me wrong, I like Felith. There was a golden age of Felith, but from what I've seen he's hit a character development wall. Not like a complete stop, but one that is pushing very slowly in a direction that I really don't think fits him. Felith from what I've seen is a plucky hero kind of character. He doesn't always think things through, but blindly follows his gut instincts. He refuses to compromise his personal morals or accept the sometimes cruel reality that the universe presents him. In his golden age this meant that he got his ass kicked regularly and had to learn from his mistakes. You played out a coming of age story. Felith tried to single handedly capture Traptooth, got his legs busted up and lost Petaldancer. He even got beat down by Josh. In the end he learned that he couldn't pull off anything just by himself. All of this bickering with 674 taught him at least a little bit about dealing with criticizism and insults. Etc. Etc. The point is, you did a good job cultivating the character.

But the thing is he failed to learn the hardest truth: no amount heroism is going to save everyone. He keeps beating his face into every obstacle without any regard for his own well being. The toll is obvious; he's well past the point now that his body can keep up with his mentality. And now that his body is all used up you are forced to continue to chip away at his sanity. The path he's on is terminal. He's either going to slowly and painfully break as his failing attempts to force his own morals on the unfair universe steal away the last of his sanity or he's going to bite off more than he can chew and die. You know in the movies when there's the dramatic scene where someone yells "Don't be a hero!" right before the other character makes the suicide play. That's the kind of hero he's become, but I don't think you want to let him go. I don't blame you, characters are hard to let go. But then your only other option is to keep dehumanizing Felith. Making him more and more numb until he just isn't even relateable anymore.

Felith needs to learn to choose his battles; that he can do more good by staying safe so he's always at the top of his game. He needs to start learning from his mistakes again, accepting the consequences of his actions and improving. The problem is that he's already dug himself in such a deep emotional hole that it's going to be really hard to pull himself out. I'm not saying he's totally beyond saving. And I'm not going to judge you for wanting to keep him around, but the effort required to put him back on track is probably the same as the effort require to develop a brand new character. So I do recommend that you at least seriously consider letting him go out in a blaze of glory. Making a new main is actually pretty refreshing.

19. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Two days to go from Felith to Robot-In-A-Jar?
    Psssh.
    Clarice took about a week just to let her body get accustomed to the leg, much less her brain.
    Also, see this article...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain
    Ghost pain'll be even more of a bitch if your entire body is gone.

20. GuardianPotato

*Finally read that WoT* Yeah I get what yer saying. I think.