1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Let's talk about supposed "Floran Superiority"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malachar, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

It has come to my attention there is a lot of inaccurate RP going on about just how much of a "threat" floran are or how "good" they are.

I'm here to clear up a few points that have been often tossed around.
    For most, this serves as a reminder to not be bullied around, and to know your lore when situations like these pop up.

For those of you who know who you are, it's a warning to stop before things get ugly.

A few points have been made by people in an attempt to label Florans as godless ungodly killing machines.

1. "Florans are superior cause they beat the hylotl" Many take note of how the Florans drove the hylotl off their homeworld. Yes, a militaristic people drove out a pacifistic people, no big surprise there. One could go to a buddhist temple with axes and guns and accomplish the same feat.

2. "Florans are superior because they beat the technologically superior avians" Yeah, they beat avian soldiers, who are often given the same weapons and armor styles florans are.

3. "Florans are the best cause they beat 10 armed apex in a fight" Yeah, don't twist lore around. Those 10 apex were apex citizens, brainwashed ones. And while it was said they were competent, they had to be ordered to fight. The fight was 10 Apex Citizens vs 10 Quote"Rabid florans looking for a fight" And while it was mentioned they took out a guard, it was also explicitly stated Big Ape ordered them not to try to stop them. Meaning they could have, easily.

4. "Because of other Points made, Florans are obviously super strong and unbeatable in even numbers" No. Just... No. Don't try to RP your florans, or your tribe, or anything being able to pull of feats such as these. In a force consisted of say. Armed human soldiers vs. Armed Floran fighters. The humans would win. No matter how strong florans might be, a bullet to the head tends to stop things. Florans closest weaponry being the needler [unless they're using other race's weapons] which simply wouldn't have the stopping power to get past a rifle plate or vest.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I also would like to make a few other points that are more personal in nature that I see, and not just broad common misconceptions.
    1. Don't use drysap as a miracle drug. In lore, [the only place it exists and is consumable] it has a high risk to promote rejection and mental dregadation the more intelligent a floran is. Get what kind of Floran we all play? [Note: Sen, known drysap user, crazy mofo, [[infesteds]] ]

2. Don't shrug off injuries because you're a plant person. You're essentially a humanoid plant. Getting shot in the leg or arm hurts you as much as anyone else. [Note: don't overplay regeneration either. While it is accepted server canon, don't forget you can't really regenerate if you bleed out. Lose a limb and not get it staunched, ded. Get blown in half, ded. Get shot in heart. ded.]

3. You're a floran. Floran's have a completely warranted phobia of fire. Don't ignore this fact. You never get over your fear of fire completely if you're made of kindling. [Note: I'm serious, seen too many florans that had no fear of fire. If you play a floran like that, they need a darn good reason. [[met one character who's name i cannot remember how to spell, boudasomething, who did this right, she got over her fear of fire be being lit on fire over and over. She's less than stable from what I hear]] ]

4. Don't overplay Floran strength. While's described as being strong for their size, they wouldn't beat something like a silverback gorilla in a fistfight. [Note, this is saying don't act as if you auto win all tests of strength. Strength isn't everything, many techniques exist in martial arts to use an opponents strength against them]

5. Floran's are also described as surviving on a combination oh photosynthesis and cardiovascular respiration [eating]. AKA you can't survive forever without sunlight. They are also highly susceptible to dehydration, being rendered immobile if going around a day without water and proceeding to crumble to dust if not hydrated. [Note, meaning, you need water and sunlight to survive, if stuck somewhere dark for extended periods, RP that weakness setting in, unless you're more like Mucklurk, who was more fungus like, but at the cost of not needing light, he reviled it]

6 and beyond, reserved for future points.

edit: post-points added in "[ ]"'s

#1 Malachar, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  2. skipi

skipi New Member

it's only a matter of time before the pedantic novels of strawmen come rolling in
    nice post, though
    it's the kind of clarification we've needed for a while

3. Wreth

Wreth New Member

There's no such thing as floran regeneration. It's been entirely made up by people on the server, and has no basis in reality or in game lore. Florans can regenerate about as much as humans can.

I never use it, and openly discourage others from using regeneration.

However I disagree where you say trained human combatants would beat trained floran combatants.

With equal numbers I would say the two sides would be equal. Floran armour is made from the same materials as the other races. Only how they obtain it is different.

As for needler rifles, Florans can grow plants as strong as metal, so I don't see why needler needles wouldn't be as strong as a metal bullet.

I don't rp my floran characters as being unstoppable monsters, but I do argue against Florans groups being less of a threat than say, a military human faction. Florans are at least equal to that, and a fight would come down to the actions of the individuals in a fight.

#3 Wreth, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
  4. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Replies in italics

5. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

They wouldn't be as strong, because of the firing mechanism. Yes, crossbows had steel-tipped bolts, which is stronger than lead or metal, and pointed. But they weren't propelled by gunpowder, so thusly have a shorter range than guns, and not as much force behind it. Therefore, gun > crossbow. Much like Gun > Needler whatever.

6. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Floran combat tactics are not ''charge and stab". The lore describes them as being quite sneaky and good tacticians. Using traps , and waiting until their opponent is asleep and then slitting their throat.

There's no shame in floran culture in using "dirty" tactics. There is only shame in losing.

Florans producing plants as strong as metal is found when describing certain floran items when playing a floran. I can't go in game to check which, as my PC needs repairing right now. But it's there. I think it's one of the doors. Also in floran prisons, there is lava contained within plant blocks

As for needler firing mechanism, well we have no idea how they work. It isn't described.

7. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Those sound like some pretty basic tactics. A child could utilize a basic hunting trap or kill someone while they're defenseless.

What about REAL, complex combat tactics? Unless they had higher numbers (which I'm pretty sure is supposed to be the entire point of florans, they're supposed to spread around the galaxy like a wildfire), I doubt they would be able to take on a group of highly trained, decently armed, and tactically superior soldiers.

8. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Oh god no stop

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

There's no reason for Florans to not be highly trained, decently armed, and good tacticians

Florans are raised from birth to fight and kill. They fight with each other, they fight with everyone else. Most Florans are highly trained in the art of combat. The apex lore mentions the miniknog of wanting to improve the combat ability of their soldiers at taking down A floran.

Florans are described as being skilled in combat. And know how to use both melee weapons and guns. I would still say a skilled and experienced floran warband is equal to a human military squad that is also skilled and experienced.

10. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Florans lack the technology that other races do; their armor would be weaker due to impurities and obsolete methods, they are clearly under par with their lack of guns, their armor rarely offers protection for more than the vital areas. There are situations where this is not crushing to them, such as against the Hylotl, but the Florans are primitive, which means just what it sounds like. Their methods are obsolete and inferior in many regards.

I personally believe that in a one on one fight, a floran could easily overpower anyone except for possibly an Apex. However, as far as large-scale battles go, Florans would need plenty more men than the opposing force, save for possibly Hylotl or Avians.

11. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Typo aside, I want to focus on something here.

A proportionate or a disproportionate amount of florans? There are a lot of florans. Their numbers alone are what make them a threat, and I'm sure that the Apex would want to strategize accordingly.

12. Narfball

Narfball narfball

i play one floran who happens to be a pyromaniac -- lack of fear of fire, but would jump into a fire posthaste if asked to politely

all this aside, florans are dumb and i dont really enjoy playing them. thus why i agree with this list.

13. Avis

Also, I would like to point out that even Firedrinker, the craziest motherfucker in the history of ever, was afraid of fire.

His name was FIREDRINKER

14. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Actually apex vs Florans in a fight with equal numbers is the the kind of fight which has been described with the most detail in the lore. 10 floran vs 10 apex = 9 Florans and 0 apex, with additional miniknog guard deaths , when they got dragged into the fight.

15. Avis

This point has already been brought up; it was 10 apex citizens and one guard ordered not to fight back. Leaving out parts of it doesn't make it any more true; that's called the Sin of Omission.

As a clarifying point, this is from the OP:

3. "Florans are the best cause they beat 10 armed apex in a fight" Yeah, don't twist lore around. Those 10 apex were apex citizens, brainwashed ones. And while it was said they were competent, they had to be ordered to fight. The fight was 10 Apex Citizens vs 10 Quote"Rabid florans looking for a fight" And while it was mentioned they took out a guard, it was also explicitly stated Big Ape ordered them not to try to stop them. Meaning they could have, easily.

16. Aiko Ikari

Aiko Ikari Guest

Please no

17. GuardianPotato

GuardianPotato New Member

One word, for what florans don't have, that easily beat them: Flamethrowers.

18. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

In regards to the "plants as strong as metal"
    I have done some research and the "bamboo door" items is where that description comes from.

Do note, it's still technically wood, just very very hard.
    We have some trees, like Ironwood, that are also pretty effing strong, but still wood all the same, and susceptible to fire and such.

19. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I don't actually rp my characters Ingame as being that OP. That's overpowered

20. Avis

It would also be lorebreaking, as the situation you described was false.