1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Mac computer stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donovennn, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Ok, so my computer was fried by a virus a few weeks ago, and just got it's hard drive replaced. Now, the computer is running really, really slow.
    nothing other than the hard drive was changed. Anyone else know what's going on?

2. OdinOnlineAlive

OdinOnlineAlive New Member

Did you try downloading more ram? My laptop was running slow until I did that.

3. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

I don't think that's the problem. My computer was working fine before the virus went and wrecked it. Since it got a new hard drive, it should be working normally. I'm not a computer expert, but maybe the virus screwed up some other things on the computer, making it run slower? Also, I don't mean just a bit slow. The computer is taking several minutes to boot up a browser.

4. OdinOnlineAlive

Check to see how much memory you have, and CPU usage and stuff.

5. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

ah, ok. I'll do that

6. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Ok, there's nothing on there. Um, I'm not sure if I was clear, but the whole hard drive was taken out and replaced with a new one.

7. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Woosh.

EDIT: Seriously, though, you may just have a faulty hard drive. I'd check it for errors (Google is your friend) and see what comes up. First, check your connections. Both the power and SATA connectors should be snug. Also, if you've upgraded your operating system recently, I've experienced slow-downs because the newer OSX doesn't do well on older hardware.

EDIT #2: If you've had it serviced by a shop, I'd take it back and explain the issue. Otherwise, be very careful as your body can contain static charges undetectable to you. Discharge yourself by touching a metal object that isn't in contact with the Macbook. Don't work on carpet. Even a small charge that you wouldn't feel discharging onto a circuit board can cause the system to act weird.

#7 Kazyyk, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  8. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

EDIT; ok my reply got mixed up in the quote at the end sorry. im using my ps vita to type so grammar is a bit difficult.

9. Super Sugar

Super Sugar New Member

You could play Starbound on Linux... I do that, runs fine.

10. OdinOnlineAlive

Its not just star bound, I think he's saying his entire computer is running slow after a hard drive replacement.

11. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Yeah, that's the problem. Also, since I screwed up my last comment: Would using Maverick cause problems with a macbook air that's from 2012-13?

12. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

What OS did it start with? Do you remember?

13. OdinOnlineAlive

I have a 2013 macbook air and it works fine for me with mavericks running, I doubt the OS has to do with it.

14. Donovennn

Donovennn New Member

Unfortunately I can't remember, but I don't even know if that's the problem. But anyway, it'll be check out by some porffesionals in a day or two, so it'll be fine.