1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Flash Opinion! The Starnet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Felonious, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Felonious

Felonious Restart Monkey

Two Community Opinions in one day, you ask? Well yes and no. This is a shorter version (and Key totes stoleded my commoonitay oopunion).

The Starnet has an issue. Shitposting. Simple as that. People never take anything serious ever on the Starnet unless it's trading for guns. And there will probably be a cacophony of "My character just wouldn't take this seriously" posts following this, so let me cut them off.

Are all of our characters that similar to eachother, that not only would they totally dismiss someone's post on the Starnet, but then would proceed to mock them and burn their thread? If so, we really all need to rethink our character planning, because if we're all doing that, there's an issue.

2. Iridium616

Iridium616 New Member

I honestly think StarNet is way too edgy.
    Come on, it's space internet. Where are the pics of cats? Very serious.

3. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

Depends on characters, but one thing is true: there's a tendency to use the chars who demonize the thread for IC reasons.
    That's why I made my Starnet user, Memory, whom is purely neutral and won't joke/demonize threads until she makes sure said threats deserve it. I still remember the last assassin whom offered services publicly, which was just asking for it.

On the other hand, she has pressed on some people off to make it clear what are they offering/asking, but she mostly tries to either joke or leave alone after being satified by answers.

4. Doctor Frohman

Doctor Frohman New Member

Unless the Star-Net get some moderating, shitposting will continue.
    Simple.

5. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Aside from anonymous posters which cannot exist on Starnet, you won't really see IC moderation on Starnet. We decided that a long time ago.

6. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Because internet is really serious and all people are polite and nice.

7. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

Icly, Antares is just filled with assholes who want to watch the world burn

I don't mean this

I totally do

8. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

I like the shitposting.

9. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

It shouldn't be a mystery why most characters are dismissive when the basis of threads are
    "ELITE Katena-wielding assassin for hire, will kill every1 for money"
    "cool and unique torture video!"
    "hey guys check out this picture of my badass character totally killing some guy"
    "cool and unique torture video!"

10. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

There'd be a lot less if there were less silly billies. I havent seen a legit badass pc outside of one or two. They never got shitposted. Because they never tried to be badass. The RP just turned out that way.

11. MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE

MEAN GREEN BAD MACHINE Notorious B.A.D.

I'd say the general post quality is a problem no matter what kind of characters are on the server (and it doesn't help that billy/edgelord/whatever basically become a buzzword at this point and every other character usually gets accused of it)

12. Edvyn

Edvyn Permanently Banned

i think it would be fun if there were people playing IC moderators or like cyberpolice or some shit

imagine like

metabans

13. Ariexe

Ariexe New Member

A new player asked if there was lays regarding general galaxy. They wanted to pillage a dungeon icly and i told them its not called the frontier for nothing. With a frontier you get alot of shit, considering Antares is far more worse than the wild west.

However, I 2nd the idea of a galactic police. it shouldn't be a new faction though, it should just be the concept of getting in trouble cause fear, and perhaps bring order :D (yea right)

14. Keycross

Keycross -Insert title here-

You guys read this post at all?

15. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

People tried to do this (Such as the fleet). Many of you deserted LM because (Using flashhelix's buzzword) edgelords quickly found that the fleet wasn't going to put up with people pulling guns every thirty seconds, or IC killing a Holy Fleet guard (This happened at least three times, from my witness alone) without any consequences.

Sadly, people wouldn't go along with it. We've had a number of characters who abused consent to the point of somehow evading every galactic power on the server.

16. Animator

Animator New Member

I'm pretty sure there was a faction suggestion one time about a galactic police (I personally like calling it Galipol, because it sounds cool and it matches Interpol), but it's a difficult thing to nail because there's only two outcomes:
    • Galipol is understaffed and underutilized, thus making it a laughingstock and not taken seriously.
    • Galipol is overused and over-utilized, making it the dominant force in the galaxy and stunting anything else from forming, which causes stagnation.
    Getting the actual staff involved in this sort of thing only further complicates things with meta. Imagining ourselves, the moderators, playing moderators while moderating the things we already moderate gives me too much of a headache. Plus, it gives us an unfair dominion over you guys, and puts us in a position where we call the shots both ICly and OOCly, which has too much potential to stunt narratives.

If you guys really want to do this, though, there is a scenario you can use. Instead of creating an entity that polices the whole of the galaxy, you can create an entity that polices planets that want to opt-in to their services. That way, you can have a legitimate form of keeping people in check that isn't out to dominate the universe while not forcing everyone to bend under the thumb of one faction. People who opt in give legitimacy to da po-po, people who don't want to opt in can police themselves and creates jurisdiction for this faction, forming a solid method of checks-and-balances for the faction to adhere. Plus it can make things more interesting, and encourages a dynamic that has depth through inter/inner-planetary politics.

17. Narfball

Narfball narfball

words can't describe my o(pi)nions.

18. FFPLEASE

FFPLEASE DANK MEMES

Chiefs of factions like Order or Wolves will say "no thanks we have our own "police" and then it wont work because these factions' bases are located on only visited colonies except chicago i guess

19. Animator

Animator New Member

Admittedly, the most active planet is the Wolf's Den, so I can see the disadvantage.

20. DirtyGoblin

DirtyGoblin Guest

Is this... bad?