1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

So, Archives of Memoria, my integration, and a selfish post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swartz, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

So, to give you folks that care a brief history, I and a few others, are from a different server. It was originally called The Halcyon Network, but that failed. So it became Unbound Travels, and that failed. And when that failed, we became Archives of Memoria. And that also failed. And now we're here. And I like it here, I really do.

I love Starbound, don't get me wrong, it's my dream game. Or at least, the final product, or how I imagine the final product to be is. And I love Roleplaying, I've been doing it for most of my life. And these two things do go together, as seen by this server, and several other RP servers. And I know it can work, and I know it can be good. I've seen it, been a part of good RP. But I've also been a part of bad RP, as we all probably have.

Rambling tangents aside, I don't know what to do. I've been having this feeling for a while now, and I just don't know what to do about it. As I stated above, I love RP. But my time on this server has felt meaningless, a waste. I log in, I wander about Liberty Mills, occasionally chatting with people (To be honest, mostly former Archives people. Almost entirely former AoM people.) but it feels... Hollow. Unfulfilling.

And I get to thinking about this issue, and I realize, I'm either A) An elitist, or B) I'm just not very good at this anymore. Because I don't have any IC friends on any characters. I'm not a part of any grand or interesting plot lines, or really anything interesting at all. I try and get involved with the community, I really do, I make StarNet threads and posts, but they all seem in vain.

So if you actually bothered reading this long mess of rambling, give me a bit of advice. I've started over repeatedly. I've had alt-itis. I've played soldiers, farmers, useless people, and the like but nothing seems to be working for me.

Help, please.

2. Kirby teh Pink

Kirby teh Pink Puts the Coo in Cool

I guess that's because nothing's happening? I dunno, been feeling the same... Guess I'll just wait until something happens, or the next update.

3. Hawke

Hawke ACK!

Drifting and wandering kinda tends to lead to this. Find a core group of friends. From your post, these'd likely be a group of like-minded AoM guys. Come up with some ideas with them and run with it; most groups on the server are kinda in a lull right now so waiting for stuff to happen's probably just going to disappoint. Even if it's just you and a few friends doing it, and no one else gets to know, it's probably better than just sitting around waiting and getting wistful.

4. Crimson Hunter

Crimson Hunter New Member

All I can say is, seek others ingame. Find a particular place or faction that resonates with you, and get involved in it by seeking a residence or membership. If not that, then start/build something interesting that will draw players to it. Also, don't be afraid to try making more characters if one of them isn't working out.

I haven't met you in character, so I can't really give any advice beyond that, unfortunately.

#4 Crimson Hunter, Jun 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2014
  5. The Grand Mugwump

I feel for you. I"m in a similar lull with my favorite character since every colony and faction she's involved with is on hiatus right now, and I don't really feel like uprooting her and moving on. Pretty much try what Crimson suggested. Applying and showing OOC interest in a group is a good foot in the door to get your character IC'ly involved with them.

Edit: And as painful as it can be, sometimes you just need to wait for others to show up.

#5 The Grand Mugwump, Jun 8, 2014
  6. MasterGruntR75

MasterGruntR75 New Member

As another fellow who migrated from AoM, I have this same problem. It's gotten to the point where I don't bother, only really coming on when asked by the other AoM guys. I've had some decent times on this sever, but it feels like at this point i'm just waisting my time. But I suppose that's my issue.

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Join a faction that actually has objectives and does stuff

8. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

My advice? Start the shit yourself. Don't wait for others to do it for you. It's what I'm doing right now, actually, so I'll use myself (because I'm an narcissistic asshole like that) as an example.

To begin: my main character is obviously Gamma (despite Crosswell apparently being more well-known or something idk w/e). Gamma is my third ever character in Starbound game-wise. For reference, Crosswell was created in-game after Gamma, so he's my fourth character, etc.

There were two characters before M-Bot 3000c (Gamma): M-Bot 3000 and M-Bot 3000b. I played both of them, and they were both Glitch. This is OOC fact.

M-Bot 3000, nowadays known as Alpha, was my very first character, made the day the Starbound beta came out. He made it to roughly tier 2 before the first wipe. He had a house on a desert planet with an NPC Floran village. His save files were eliminated in the first wipe. This is OOC fact.

M-Bot 3000b, now known as Beta, was my second character. He made it to tier 10, accumulated most of the techs, got some awesome vanity items, purely through the vanilla experience. No cheating, no custom starcheat weapons. I remember bragging on a server that I had a sniper rifle that did 4000 damage per shot... and some were actually impressed. But slowly some modders trickled onto the server, and a hylotl got me interested in base file editing. I created a sword that fired the dragon projectile and practically shit my pants from the sheer awesomeness. And then I attempted to alter Beta's description... and his file was corrupted.

All that hard work, that vanilla bubble boost, that rainbow cloak and full wizard set... gone. Poof. And that was how Beta died. It killed me inside and threw me off Starbound for a good bit, because simply put, I didn't want to do all that over again, having already been at the "top". That, too, is OOC fact.

So what didn't happen OOCly?

-Alpha's armor. He never got the knight's armor, never even reached the point where he could make it.
    -Alpha being saved by the Novakid (lol)
    -Alpha dying in a fire, saving said Floran NPC village.

-Beta being psychotic/evil. He was actually a pretty swell guy! Gave away weapons and armor for free, even.
    -The group of golden armored warriors.
    -Various other things that will be revealed in the logs at a later date.

GODDAMN JUST GET TO THE POINT ALREADY (aka TL;DR)

The point in all of this, is that based on the OOC experiences of two former characters and a little creativity, Gamma suddenly has a backstory spanning roughly fifty IC years(!) and his own progressing personal storyline, that culminates in a MASSIVE future server event and a powerful, driven villain in the form of Beta, as well as his personal army.

So my advice is if you want to be involved in something and affect the server in some way... plan it. Figure out what works, what people might be up for, and then go for it. What you can do is only limited by your creativity - that's the beauty of roleplay.

(also make sure you get consent first from all involved parties okay yes nobody likes a sudden unprovoked colony-destroying war)

9. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

Like what? Because as the others stated, the Factions are pretty much defunct. They're either the RA of ungodly large proportions, or the Holy Fleet. And I'm not really that interested in either of those things, to be honest.

And as for this, I did that. The crew of the Grackle, that was a great thing. It fell apart for IC reasons, and I'd love to do it again, but when I talk to the old people they complain about it being too same-y. Maybe I need a big dosage of inspiration, but I'm really lacking for that right now.

10. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Just to let you know, the USCM is still around. We're still accepting new members, and we're still active. If you want something to do, at least consider joining us, because it sounds like you're having a hard time finding anything else to do.

11. Wreth

Wreth New Member

There has been a LOT going on in floran politics on the server recently. New tribes being formed, intentions of full scale war..

12. M-Bot

M-Bot #swellest

Yeah I can understand that, but instead of trying to recreate the Grackle and its experiences, why not use its legacy as a springboard? What about the continuity? Did Brandon (iirc that was his name, sorry if I got that completely wrong lmao) have any relatives? What happened to the ship itself? Could someone have found it in a state of disrepair and wondered what happened to the original crew?

I'm not sure how you ended its story outside of the captain dying, but there must be *something* you can exploit, hmm?

13. Swartz

Swartz Sad Birdy Man

Branden is my name. Because I stupidly messed up my username. The Captain's name was Gray. That aside, he had a few relatives. And the crew is still very much alive, though spread around. The ship is belongs to the former Firstmate/now Captain. Once the Captain died, the crew broke up and went there separate ways.

#13 Swartz, Jun 8, 2014
  14. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I've had this problem with other games, and never have found a way to get past it. Great things will happen, but they won't happen all the time. Sometimes it's just "that time" to move on to something else until you feel the call of roleplay or Starbound again. People burn out. Nothing lasts forever. That's just the way things are, I've noticed.

15. Animator

Animator New Member

Usually a purposeless character is purposeless because they don't have a set purpose to begin with. There's a difference between making a character strictly just for pure interaction, and a character who has goals that wants to do things.

The first character I made for Starbound roleplaying purposes, Vector, is a good example of mixing both together. He has a job he needs to do (haul trash), and he meets others while hauling his trash and traveling through space and the like. You can't sit around and wait for the action to come to you: Sometimes you gotta make the action happen. This goes deeper and also applies to their personality: Their purpose isn't the end-all or be-all, but it's something that keeps them driven that's a part of them, and how that meshes with the rest of their traits as a whole to create an actual person.

Naturally, this is easier said than done, but if you manage to think up a decent idea, it'll usually have good backing from other roleplayers.