1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Anyone Want to Solve a Mystery?

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Arcullis, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

After a long day of investigating a certain matter, I came across a tape recorder in an asteroid base. Now that's all fine and dandy, as there are plenty of abandoned bases lying around with old tech, but there was actually a message still recorded on the ancient piece of junk. Here's the playback;

-Beginning of audio log-

*click* *BZZZT* *CHHHH*

-silence-

*BZZT* "This is Sergeant Monrow of the 9th Calvary Division! We are under attack! We are unsure if it is a terrori-" *There is a loud crash, followed by screams*

*BZZT* *CHHHH* "OH GOD! WHAT THE HELL IS THA-" *CHHHH*

-silent whirring-

*click*

-End of audio log-

So yeah, creepy right? Seems like something out of an old horror film. I can't make sense of it though. Does the USCM have a Calvary Division? Post your thoughts down below, because I'm completely stumped on this.

2. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Maybe it IS an old horror film. Don't jump to conclusions.

-Cole Harris, Private Investigator

3. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

Oh don't worry, I very well had that in mind. It'd be silly to rule anything out so early. I am curious though; why would a recording of a small clip from a horror movie be in a broken cabinet in an asteroid field? Doesn't seem too likely of a story to me... Unless some wack-job scientist enjoyed listening to that type of thing while he worked.

4. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Bleach Connoisseur

Hey, I'd never rule it out. Have you seen how fucking weird scientists are these days?

But yeah. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If this is real, it's been solved by now, or maybe it's fallen through the cracks. If that's true, this case would be old and abandoned, and the guys who pulled it off would be dead, inactive, or active far away from our sectors. Unless you're interested in the novelty, this isn't worth investigating.

-Cole Harris

5. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

It's the thrill of the experience as I say. Even if this does lead to be some hoax pulled off by a couple of strangers, it's still something that grabs my interest. I've been trailing down another rumor prior to this, and my adventures led me to that tape recorder. Whether or not the two are connected or not is beyond me. But, I gotta say, looking into this sure beats sitting around in Liberty Mills.

6. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

Observation: It's probably best not to learn what it is, unless you wish to end up like the men in this recording. It's obviously not friendly, whatever it is.

Amusement: I haven't heard of a USCM Cavalry Division. Curious: Perhaps whatever it is that brutalized this man also ended up destroying the Division? It wouldn't be surprising if the USCM were trying to hide big dark secrets of the truth.

-Raoul

7. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

Well what can I say; I'm an explorer and adventurer at heart. Doing risky and stupid things is part of my job! As for the mystery, I'll post later updates on what I find. Thanks for the feedback!

8. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

Well, what was the place you found it in like?

9. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

Well, in simple terms, old. Really, really old. Most of the containers were either shattered or rusted shut completely. When we turned on the generator, there was enough power to get the lights going a little, but just barely. Other than that there really wasn't anything out of the ordinary... From the looks of the dead equipment they had, I would assume they were trying to set up some kind of space station, maybe?

10. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

So there wasn't any remains? Like... bodies? Does the recorder look like it belonged there in terms of the tech?

11. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

"I've found similar abandoned stations made inside of asteroids, myself. Generally were long since abandoned, or possibly just something that belonged to a group of nomads or similar. Simple outposts or 'camps' set up while passing through. In fact, on one occassion, there was one of these structures that appeared to be just that. A place to hold down while fuel was mined by nearby asteroids."

-Aedan

12. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

Right, asteroid bases are not uncommon. It was the contents that were new to me. Whoever was there before I was didn't seem to care too much about taking their belongings with them... And to answer the prior question, I didn't find any bodies, but whether or not there were any blood stains is beyond me. If there was, the rust made it blend in rather well. As for the tape recorder, it was in a shelf that seemed designed to hold a whole bunch of 'em. That was the only one left, however... I have no idea where the others might be.

13. Arcticil

Arcticil Toxic Top Soldier

-Viiker-

As one who saw it myself, it was strange. Eerie, with lights flickering and a smashed in cabinet.

14. Birds

Birds Not Stanley

The butler did it.
    Mystery solved.

-DL-

15. Sen

Sen Guest

not floran

16. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

What was the recorder's power source?

17. Arcullis

Arcullis New Member

-Zalexia-

As primitive as it may seem, there was a crank on the back end of it. I gotta say, it was built to last- even without any sort of exterior power sources.

18. Terallis

Terallis Dark Matter of Fact

"A-... what? A crank? Are you serious? That's archaic! That doesn't even make sense to use with forms of space travel technology. That's equivalent to Earth technology around five hundred years ago. Unless someone really had an interest in collecting near ancient objects, that really makes no sense."

-Aedan

19. LaserLlamas

LaserLlamas Mother of the Pack

. . . Query: A crank?

Observation: I somehow doubt this is recent... Probably older than most Humans.

-Raoul

20. Twitch

Twitch Wayward Star

I dunno. I have a really old flashlight model before the production of low yield energy packs that like... you shake to recharge the battery unit. I know antique record players have cranks too.

The recording itself, is it on something? I can't imagine digital audio staying intact with... crank power.