1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Punishment Feedback and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Concerns and Suggestions' started by Angre, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Hey, everyone.

It's no secret that in the past, we as staff have made some rather controversial decisions regarding the banning of certain problematic community members. While we stand by these decision, we understand that we're not always the most in-touch with the goings-on of the server and that our decisions aren't always the best in the minds of community members. This is why we're seeking input for the way we handle bans and punishments for players.

Currently, the way punishments are decided is by a vote. Staff members read over the incidents the player in question has been involved in, and then each staff members gives their own input on the type of punishment the player should receive and how severe that punishment should be. After each staff member has given their input, we discuss the suggested punishments and then finally reach an agreement on the best course of action. As of right now, this process does not involve community members a whole lot other than the reports that are submitted.

So, we've decided to create this thread. We want feedback and suggestions for how to improve this process. From what we've managed to gather, the way we handle things now just doesn't seem to be cutting it; Often times it seems a majority of the community is left unsatisfied by the end result of most incidents. So please, reply with suggestions on how we can improve this process.

2. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Maybe have people who were present at the rule-breaking event vouch that it did occur? In the end the staff would have the ultimate verdict but see it as some sort of witness system.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

I'd like to see a 'three strike' system. Specifically for OOC chat, because there tends to be a lot of that. I do it too and it would definitely help me cut down on it if there was a looming punishment for keeping it up.

After some time, depending on the severity of the offense, strikes could fall off.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440785045][/DOUBLEPOST]
    They already do contact those who were involved.

4. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

Ah, alright. I did not know that.

5. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I think there needs to be more communication with people from staff rather than bans just out of nowhere. Sometimes there are genuine misunderstandings and things are not malicious, and all that is needed is a third, nuetral party to step in (a staff member) and the situation can be resolved before it escalates to a ban worthy level.

6. Rezima

Rezima New Member

In the past we have overreacted to issues, laid out punishments without truly understanding the situation, or without thinking about what the punishment would even achieve.

Sometimes all you really need to do is talk to someone, banning them or suspending their whitelist can more often than not make things worse, make people feel angry, like we are out to get them. Other times you really do need to show a firmer hand, especially when someone is acting belligerent, or refusing to change.

It is rarely black and white, there is almost always more to the situation. However there also seems to be a certain behaviour I have noticed in the community, sometimes you guys are out for blood, you WANT the staff to punish someone and hurt them, and that never fixes anything. We tried to be lenient and avoid banning people when we could because frankly...we didn't WANT to ban anyone, having to bring down the hammer sucks, it feels terrible.

Inversely, in many way the staff have also been too lenient with actual problems in the server, we gave several people second chances only to have them later prove to us that they didn't deserve them.

In short, we need to break out of our old habits and reevaluate how we handle issues around here, because it seems like almost everyone is dissatisfied.

7. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Can we stop pretending this isn't about what happened recently and just address THAT.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

This post envelopes more issues than just what happened yesterday. While I will agree that what happened was uncool, I don't think it should be dragged out any further than it has been.

9. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I'm not sure some banned people would agree if they were able to say.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

Those people were given an opportunity to explain what happened. Just not in the public eye. Because it's not the public's business. Now. Let's all stay on topic.

Aside from the 'three-strike' system, maybe implement a 'severity tier' system that ties in that you could use to gauge how long someone should be punished for or how long until those strikes fall off.

11. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Let's deconstruct that bit from yesterday for a bit, because you lot handled it horribly.

A member of our community had something private and personal leaked maliciously by a third party. Something which after some snooping I learned was probably done on purpose, from what I have heard it was likely even edited to look worse to discredit him as much as possible.

Simply put, it was an attack, a muckraking attempt with the sole purpose of hurting him for something that happened months ago in private.

Several of you then proceeded to kick this man while he was down, shaming him for his past mistakes and demanding retribution, likely ostracizing him from the community forever. So guess what, whoever was behind it succeeded, he managed to play all of you.

I hope you guys are proud of yourselves, because I'm sure as hell not.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440815116][/DOUBLEPOST]But yeah, let's stay on topic

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

To be fair, I was willing to believe that they weren't entirely responsible. That's why I asked who OWNED the material, who had the RIGHTS TO EDIT said material. I never got answers before I was booted from the conversation, so I still reserve the right to give the person the benefit of the doubt.

13. EyesofMarch

EyesofMarch New Member

Christ you guys. This is supposed to be fun; not some shaming shit. While I did see the document, and I was a bit.. Perturbed by it, it doesn't mean we gotta bust their nuts. We all have our own weird shit we keep in private.

At the same time, I spoke to the people who did it, and they thought the community should have known. While the situation was dumb as fuck, their intentions weren't... Entirely evil in nature. Come to a consensus, and maybe ban them for a week or two, or a month. Not a perma-ban.

14. Wreth

Wreth New Member

Agreed, I completely agree that if they felt something was innapropriate, they should have reported using the official channels, not spread dirt around the community. They deserve punishment, a perma or month long ban seems excessive.

That said, people are free to do as they wish in private, but for this to have been discovered at all, it clearly was not in private. The content that made people feel uncomfortable about how their characters were used, was NOT hacked out of someone's private dropbox. It was willingly shared. The person whom it was shared to felt it was innapropriate to share at all, however they did not respond appropriately.

Both sides here made mistakes in my personal opinion.

15. Rezima

Rezima New Member

You wanted it addressed, so I did.

There are things you don't do to your fellow humans. Leaking a document shared in confidence is one of them. Publicly humiliating someone is one of them. Purposefully attacking them is one of them.

These things are fundamentally and morally wrong. You should never go out of your way to hurt someone.

16. Haplap

Haplap Happypaps

I think a verbal warning and then next calling their parents is good. And maybe a detention if they're really bad.

17. Avis

Avis Halloweenie of the Serengeti

Regarding the events with the document, the two players who were banned had their bans reduced. TheHitter/Luke/Frozen Duracell Battery will be unbanned the first of October, while Solour will be unbanned the first of March. It is very harsh, yes, but the reasons behind that were because Solour did it with intention of shaming another player. He said this himself. Let this be a lesson that vigilantism doesn't work very well.

Now, this thread is not for this topic. If people would like to discuss it, they can discuss it elsewhere, be it through contacting staff, or even creating a thread about it if players feel that it merits that still.

EDIT: All I ask is that players try to become fully informed before chiming in on whatever discussion happens.

NOW, for this thread. Staff are reading it, we are not ignoring anything in the thread, so please keep responding. We simply want to get more opinions before we really give any statement.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Sinfully Soft

What kinds of suggestions are you guys looking for?

19. Angre

Angre Majestic Penguin

Any kinds of suggestions that you feel would improve the way punishments are handled. Anything at all that you personally feel would help make the process or outcomes more satisfactory and to your liking.

20. Optimism

Optimism Guest

Well, let's be real, that ban wasn't a message to Solour, it was a message to the 'community'. If the 'community' was knit tightly and sturdy Solour's little document would have had the effect of a passing breeze on an oak tree and the only thing he would have gotten would have been a warning in the skype chat or a kick at most for posting pointless crap.

I guess I can understand why the mods are so strict in the chat about petty things that I regard as trivial and useless text chat restrictions: all it takes is one digital sheet of text on paper to make the beehive explode, lol.

That's not really a lesson, man. That's a gg no re (Or adios in Espanol).

Solour paid more for the reaction than he did for his own action. RIP in peace. ;_;

Anyways, that's all I have to say.

#20 Optimism, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015