1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

How did you guys get into RP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Comrade, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

I joined because I wanted to have a group of friends to play with while in the internet. I have tons of friends IRL but since Im not as outgoing, it always felt kinda lonely when playing in my PC.

I saw all of these Youtubers playing with their friends and I always wanted to have something that.

I'd kinda given up on it until I saw this server on the list. At first I thought this would be a community full of old, fat neck-bearded dudes. Seriously, I thought I was going mad once I realized I wanted to try roleplaying. How wrong I was, and how glad it makes me now to had been wrong.

Thanks to that 'slip' I met a whole new sort of people who have truly made me change the way I think. I didn't know a thing about roleplaying except when I played games as a 7-10 year old kid with my brother. I'm thankful of the oldies of the community and the friends I've made now that have taken me up, were patient with me and my powergaming antics, and most of all, have helped me have such a good time and always make me laugh and smile every day I chat with'em.

Thanks USAF guys and gals (specially Josh, Angre, Gourd, Eleven, Mal, Matt and Solly)! And thanks Kazzyk and the new and some of the retired mods for making this server the way it is today, despite it still having a few things to fix and the rough patches it has gone through.

2. Raideck

Raideck Member

I've always enjoyed the fantasy genre of games, so fantasy rpgs where I can play a big tough guy as a hero? Hell yeah. That's why my favorite pathfinder class is Paladin. I like being the good guy or even the ambiguous hero. I started my multiplayer rp on mine craft way back when. I was pretty small and hearing about rp servers on games interested me. Last year my friend told me about starbound so I bought it and immediately searched for rp servers. I found the best list with Antares in the top 3. I won't name the other ones. I made an application for an Avian pirate and thus here I am.

3. Orenten

Orenten New Member

Well.... For that, we're going to need to go back, a bit of this is going to have to go into a little spoiler though. Because you know, warning below will explain.

WARNING
    Clicking on the spoiler you will consent to shutting the hell up and not complaining about the choices I made as a kid/teen and so on so forth, you click on that little button knowing full well that suggestive language, scenes, and some other suggestive most-likely-above-or-maybe-not PG-13 stuff. Enjoy.

Well, I began at a really young age, probably around like eleven or twelve when I got into this site named DRRRChat. It was a clean site (for a bit) and was all around just fun to be on. People had wacky ideas to roleplay, were commonly all together and wanting to spurr something on, or just bored and wanting to talk. I remember just going on there at first when I was a HUGE fanboy of Cowboy Bebop and talking about it with people I couldn't hear or see. It was fun, and arguing about certain things was even funner. I got into doing some quotes and sayings from Cowboy Bebop before doing actions with stars and saying shit Spike said a lot.
    After that, I wanted to do my own character, someone new, and being the little Weeaboo I was back then, I wanted a Japanese intense badass of badassatude. So, I thought for a long time, but couldn't find a name... I actually got a name by making up a name for a fanfiction I was writing a bit back before promptly throwing it away... And it was my username.
    Orenten. His full name was Orenten Tatagomi. He was my first character, and he was a bit mundane and normal. He aspired to become a brawler, wanted to become stronger, black hair stacked build, really young... Though, I joined my first group of roleplayers when I joined a room named " Roleplay:3 ", I wondered what the three was about, and before long figured out that that was a cat face... I joined them, and being all as young as we were, we ALL had OP godmodding powergaming characters. I was normal for the longest time, until noticing that people CONSTANTLY wanted to fight me, so, I had to evolve.
    One day, a giant animated corpse was attacking a nearby city (It was like a mix of fantasy, medieval and modern all in one, so it was confusing what the city was like) and we went to go stop it... Me being useless, I stayed back. I actually ended up jumping in front of a exploding gas canister to spare a friend of injury (Even though she would godmod) and shortly roleplayed my death...
    And that, kittens, is when Orenten Tatagomi, my first true OC was born.
    He was revived through a strange awakening within himself, his chest actually burst open to show a red heart turning purple and muscular, beating stronger and faster. The skin sealed again, and I actually got up, my wounds regenerating as embers rolled from my mouth...
    To make this quick, I became a motherfucking Half-Dragon. Hell, maybe in Off-Topic, if enough people ask for it, I'll write the entire backstory to him.

A year of that, and I got bored, moved on and I was like- "Well fuck, now what?" I didn't know much, and I was bored with just roleplaying with the same people in the same scene... So, I went to another room, a Highschool Romance... Yah, you know that little dark phase all of us go through at one point? Mine was bad... REALLY bad, not to gloat, but I promise that mine was worse than almost ALL other roleplayers on this site. I spent like, three years doing that, stuff I really don't feel like repeating, but let's say I've stuck my nose in enough shit that the smell is normal now, and I can only help but laugh when you scoff at someone mentioning the word penis or cock.
    Well.... I got bored of that too... I got better with my typing, my writing, my grammar slowly became better as well as my English in general. I became a small novel writer, and I could not STAND roleplaying with anyone that talked like-
    "How r y doin? Wun rp? K"
    *Crawls up tree, alssep*

Well, safe to say, if I ever see anyone in a fucking tree I'm going to burn the damn thing with them on it, or just bitch at them and tell them to not waste my time and leave I still do that, I hate being shorthanded when I type paragraphs and I get a single sentence with four words back in it, and they think that's fair.
    Well... I still did the do... You know... *Makes finger banging motion* but you know, I did that as a conserved action with someone my character trusted and loved, not like- Teacher Student detention stuff. I became a seasoned roleplayer, and I loved being able to craft my own characters on the fly. My two standing roleplays are actually a furry and a human.

Tal'Lak Vas'Neel, a black dragon anthro that has lived for centuries, he looks for nothing now besides rolling around in mass sums of loot and gold in his horde and aiding lesser beings that need his assistance... As long as they have money and gold for him, that is.
    Lukin Venswick, he was actually my highly charismatic rouge-type that I commonly make sheets for in DnD He's clever and observant, quick on his feet and a looker with a silver tongue, just don't expect him to know basic life skills and other job-bound activities. He can talk the key or pants off a blood-thirsty barbarian woman, or settle a war between kingdoms by calling the two Kings idiots and convincing the people to rebel against the kings together because THEY were the ones effected by the war, not the nobles.

Do I still have a dark side?... Yah, I do, people say I do the blackout-bedroom stuff well, but I don't focus on that completely. I started as some arrogant little shit that had too much power... Now, I have a greedy lazy dragon and a charming Casanova thief, which I have complete mortality and mentality structure behind and keep true to their character. If I get into a set of pants here and there, woo... But I'd much rather sit down with a group of people in a roleplay and sing drunken songs through the night and ebat the shit out of eachother and laugh it off in the morning....
    *Twirls his finger in the air as the screen goes black*
    Oh the pirate's life for me~... I had the nickname Panty Pirate for a reason back then.

4. Orenten

Orenten New Member

I beg to differ...

5. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

I actually got into it back when I was about 15, when my ex-girlfriend would RP from time to time and told me to try it out. I did, and I mostly just did one-on-one RPs with her and other friends of mine. Then I found out about Starbound and followed it up to its release, and thought "This would be cool to RP in" and Googled "Starbound roleplay" for the hell of it. Lo and behold, Kaz's thread on the Starbound forums was the first result. I posted there, and now I'm here, a year later. This was my first "serious" roleplay experience, until I joined Antares I'd only done those little RPs with my friends, never had any RP experience beyond that.

Bitch pls

6. John_McFakename

John_McFakename New Member

Early 2013:
    Got Gmod, got bored of Prop-Hunt and TTT, found out about RP servers, joined a random DarkRP one. Noticed the amount of mic-mewling kiddies in those, RP'd a Homeless Guy with Tourettes' Syndrome who sold/threw shoes at people while shouting obscenities (there as literally a weapon for throwing shoes, with alt-fire being a random Tourettes' Guy quote).

Then I found out about "FearlessRP", which was this pseudo-serious CityRP server where people mostly RP'd the job-roles they picked in a city (unless they were boring and played the "Civilian"-Job.). RP'd a Gundealer, started a weaponshop, met a Mob-boss who sounded like a 7-year-old who came asking me for "Protection Taxes", disagreed with a bullet to the face, Mob-Boss reanimated five minutes later and molotov'd my shop down.
    Swapped Job to Police after the arbitrary time-limit, found out cars handled like arse and ran over a civilian or a two. Fired.
    Swapped Job to Security Guard, turned President's office into a Doom-Fortress, half the server-population started an uprising to take the President out, I sat at the front-desk while a horde of Civilians with AKs entered the building, and I did the most logical thing a Security Guard would do in a situation like that: Stood up, typed "I didn't sign up for this!", unslinged my M4, threw it at the closest traitor, sprinted in the building's garage and stole a police-car, drove to the Rebel base and waited for the ruckus to die down. Took a break.
    Swapped Job to Rebel, noticed the new President banned Rebels from the central area of the city, obvious response was to deck out a 5-man group of Rebels in bodyarmour while holding AKs, stole a car and ran over the closest police-officer while typing "Viva la revolucion!" in chat. Then a President with God-mode and Noclip on teleported to where we were, said something I don't remember anymore, and suddenly me and the 4 Rebels were teleported to the prisons. Either President was Bruce Almighty or Admin didn't like his utopia being disturbed, 2 hours of extorting money from people to buy the bodyarmour and AKs down the drain. DONE!

After that wall of text, I got back to my non-RP FPS and RTS games, bought Starbound November 2013. Got bored of singleplayer, looked up servers, found Antares, wrote a god-awful backstory for the first time, and bam. Here I am.

7. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

Oooooh...lets see. Well, I've been interested in the idea of taking on a character/being someone else in a game for a long time, used to play insanely-casual DnD, to the point of all we did was fight hte monsters, and not even correctly (but thats cus none of us knew how), loved NERF, then Airsoft, then Paintball, playing soldier, that sort of thing. And computers.

Never really RP'ed, per se, until Starbound though. My first server, admittedly, was Galaxy Citizen. I went on in...late 2013/early 2014 as the stereotypical rogue/shadow man with unspoken past, and was picked up by a travelling mercenary. Shit happened, colony got bombed, mods came after us, I sorta disappeared for a while. Didn't know better at the time what was IC nad what was OOC. (Actually bombed the city)

Then found Antares, back when the application was a character description. Joined up, spent a few weeks rolling around Avalon, joined USCM and it kinda went from there.

So, I guess for me as well, SB was first. <3

Also,
    :(:(:(:(:(

Note: I wonder what it would be like for one of the old old characters in the server to write a "book" about his/her adventures in Antares so far. Like, over a years worth of stuff crammed into writing...Even if it technically already was.

8. Shag

Shag High Impact Sexual Implications

Frizzle I forgot you Cole, how could I. THE OL' KING HOW COULD I? FORGIVE MINE IMPUDENCE, O LORD OF PUNS!

9. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I rolled in through Neverwinter Nights, great times. Still miss them, then it went to Guild Wars, some other MMOs. Then Neverwinter Nights 2 got released. But they did everything wrong what they could, on the RolePlay side. Hosters mainly, then I moved back to MMO RP with the occasional online DnD sessions. Then came Starbound 'round the bend, RP'ed there in the beginning until the great update depression. ((Enraged Koala stalemation!)) And IRL being busier. Aand now, now I am back.

Those who remember Sevastopol, know who I am.

10. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I was 11 years old when I joined my first Neverwinter Nights roleplaying server. I had no idea what roleplay was, did terrible, and got banned. Being sneaky, I figured out how to get around my ban, wised up right quick, and proceeded to roleplay there for the next 6-7 years off and on. My character/persona Kazyyk is actually from there.

5-6 years after that, now I'm here. I still sometimes go back and visit that server. Yes, it's still active.

11. Clem

Clem Lore Writer

I was a Goblin Kazyyk, a stealing backstabbing Goblin. That sent many people to their graves! But the server quit, sadly.

12. Comrade

Comrade New Member

Holy shit, I use to play RuneScape too. I never RPed on it though, actually played it legit. It was like back in the days of 2007-2009, not this new shit. Nice to know two others on this forums site played RS also.

13. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Started out RPing on Everquest 1 on the Veeshan Server long before the RP Server, did that for 5 years. Then I went to Everquest 2 and RP'ed there for 6 years, starting out on the Lucan D'Lere server then eventually went to Antonica Bayle. I stopped RPing on EQ2 due a situation, nothing to do with SOE. Other then playing single players and steam sale fillers, I was told from a member of the EQN-RP community about the server and here I am.

14. Weavle105

Weavle105 Back in Black.

Hoboy, where do I start...

I've literally been roleplaying for as long as I can remember. It started out somewhere around when I was 5 years old I'm gonna say, with what I called "real life". I guess I was just so enraptured by the thought of an epic fantasy adventure being my real life, that I had to find some way to put it into the name, or something. It was something that me and my older brother would do, sometimes our elder sister, and we'd just pretend to be whatever characters we loved, for example, as a child I was utterly in love with The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Wind waker, two games I grew up with on the GameCube (aka the objectively best console to ever be), so I would always be Link. My brother, having always appreciated Sci-Fi more than Fantasy, would play as Samus (although a male version because we were still in that stage of innocent childhood sexism and neither of us knew she was a chick for a long time), and we'd think up these amazing, magical adventures, which more often than not took place in whatever game universe we were obsessed with at the time.

After the whole Oujia board incident, that kinda went on hiatus, and thus began my true desire for an escape from the brutality of the real word. Some time after that, we ended up picking it back up again, with my brother slowly loosing interest in it and just sort of going along with it for a while. That was around the dark period in my life, where life just hated our family. It was also around the time that I was introduced to IMVU by my sister, and started roll playing on there for a while. Quite poorly I might add. I really can't remember much about that time besides that, and the fact that I played a master of psionics named Necrid who was clad in some sort of cursed golden "armour". Fast forward a couple years or so, and my brother picked Roleplay back up for a little while, having joined an awesome Roleplay forum on the fanfiction website, "The limitless Pokemon RP with the exceptionally long name for a RP". In which you play as pokemon. Surprise surprise. I will always recognize Dillard the Feraligatr and Fjore the Flareon as my first actual roleplay characters, with Necrid being an unfinished project of sorts. A shame I never really got that character in working order. After a good long while of that, and playing on another forum for a shorter while, I just sorta drifted off, forgetting about RP in general until I eventually saw Etalyx play Starbound as a Glitch, immediately fell in love with the game, and proceeded to buy it as soon as possible. Being disappointed with the lacking main game, and having little else to do, I decided to do something that was previously unthinkable and join a server. Searching for a Starbound server, I believe Antares was the first one I came across, and I just... Went with it. Signed up, played, enjoyed. After a while, it started to become stressful, then after a bit more it felt more like a chore than anything else, and after the death of one of my main characters that I found to be complete bull, I just up and left. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to leave and purposefully overreacted, who knows. Since then, I've just been doing miscellaneous RPs with my friends, including some Dark souls stuff. But, after all that, I think I'm finally ready to pick Antares back up again.

I'm not serious about that last sentence. It was purely to troll John, should he see this.

#34 Weavle105, May 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2015
  15. Narfball

Narfball narfball

i rp'ed on an mmo that wasnt meant to be rp'ed on with my friends

then i liked it unironically

then i did it more