1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

Scientific Ramblings: Diary of Cateth

Discussion in 'Character Journals' started by Malachar, Mar 19, 2015.

?

What was the answer to the previous question?

1. 42

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Banana

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Skarti

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Leg

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

[icly, this is kept on a shelf in her room on the freezer, to access it you'd need to enter her lab and somehow get past the retinal scanner that locks her personal room beyond it. That, or simply break down both doors because your character simply MUST get in there and read the private thoughts for whatever reason :D]

*handwriting is written in english, small and neat, showing having had a need for frequent handwriting throughout life*

Figured I may as well keep one of these, not many others to talk to throughout the base, at least ones that can hold a conversation. Job has had ups and downs, but been largely irrelevant so far. When they took me on as their head, and only, for some reason, scientist, I sort of expected more requests or commentaries, rather than being seemingly ignored.

First thing to do was take some of the abundant scrap metal and tossed electronics and fashion some cleaning droids to keep the floors nice. Added bonus in that they have surveillance cameras installed in the eyes sending the feed to a server in the lab, though none of the others know this yet. They're also programmed to deliver an electric shock to anyone not on their visual whitelist, though some people seem to keep trying to touch them anyways.

Well, not like social interaction has ever been that interesting anyway, the people are marines, and mostly what you'd expect. Most advanced organ in their body is their liver, poor brains...

Breif summary of those I've met so far...
    Avian called Dusk:, quiet, jittery, always hangs out with some floran called Matt, who is female, I don't begin to understand their naming processes...

Said Floran called Matt:, seems docile enough, keeps attacking my cleaning droids though, I think we worked something out

Andrew: Regular meathead, but nice enough. Helped me test out a serum I developed, and promptly punched a locker breaking his hand during the effects. At least he proved it works..

"Gunny": Stereotypical meathead marine if I ever saw one. Loyal to his comrades but has no clue about anything requiring higher thought processes than shooting a gun or basic animal instincts.

Amber: Corpsman who fancies herself some kind of medic, who seems to think standard procedure for helping someone in the safety of the base is sewing them shut without gloves or anesthetics. Also seems to have some beef with me and is begging for one of my more creative serums. Has taken "gunny" as her personal guard dog through obvious means and because of his animal instincts, seems all too willing to comply. At least we seem to have a real doctor on base now.
    Addendum. Dead.. Wasn't really THAT bad...

Ethan: Marine, but a decently smart one for a change. Don't know much about him, only talked to him once, but was a pleasant conversation.
    Addendum. Talked some more here and there, nice guy.

Veon: Avian who specializes in Electromechanical Engineering, smart as I am, and in a different field, so it was really fun sharing stories of things we've created or studied. Might end up being a good friend.

Verita: Seems to be the leader and "mother figure" of the base. One who hired me on. Not much else to say.
    Addendum. Conceited, even built a statue of herself.

[these next 4 words are crossed out and replaced with "Joshua"]Some Blond Haired Guy: Seen him around, have yet to talk to him or even get his name.
    Addendum: Now know his name is Joshua, seems nice enough, at least he listens and takes ideas I share seriously.

Revan: One of the rookies, seems nice enough, scared out of his mind in regards to these "demon-beasts" running around.. I can relate.
    Addendum. Nice guy, handsome, taken, dammit...

[writing gets smaller, as she crams in more details to a smaller space]
    Cole: Weapons expert guy. Nice enough, quiet though, only time I saw him, he sat there playing with his knife.
    All the people I know that live here for now...

In regards to these beasts.. I don't like them, they seem vaguely humanoid, and are capable of learning and imitating speech they hear, and are apparently extremely aggressive.

They're unnatural, not matching any known creature I've heard or read of. My thoughts are something created by others, or some unknown race resurfacing.

Possibly both.

I've started carrying a few syringes with enough poison to kill an elephant with me, just in case. Though I hope they don't get that close to begin with.

#1 Malachar, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015
  2. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

[temporary change, for this entry, diary is in her right pocket on her coat]
    Nice surprise to wake up to today...
    The marines apparently went hunting again, and left a corpse in my lab. Scared the hell out of my walking in half asleep to that.

Humanoid is structure and organ systems, very dense bones and skin.

Also some kind of residue was found in its lungs, I'll need to analyze it further later.

Sadly, it seems there was nobody to help with getting the thing out of my lab, so it's stuck there stinking up the place.

I write this from the bar couch, driven from my own room...
    Sometimes I wonder why I stay here.

3. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

[Diary is back to her room, as of this addition]

Lots of updates..

Big one.
    Amber's dead. Some Floran got her.
    I didn't really like her.. But I thought maybe we could eventually stop bickering...

Marigold tried to go after her, came back with her legs shot, they had to be amputated.
    I've been trying to help her keep things together.

Other big things.

We got attacked by some... Thing... Apparently it called itself Noli. Was running around tormenting everyone, scared the hell out of me...

I felt like a little girl.. not a 21 year old woman. All I could do was hide in the armory with the others.

Revan got hit at one point.. I still remember the sound when it yanked his arm out of his socket.

It's gone now though. And the leader of the other things seems to have left.

I'm still shaken that such things should even exist. They aren't natural. I'm glad they're gone.

Nothing new on the developmental front.

The secret to determining an avesmingo's taste and discovering how to grow specific kinds eludes me still.
    One day though...

The cleaning droids are doing well, the floran seems to be attacking them less, so I don't have to fix them as often.
    I don't know how long it will last...

4. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

The boys brought in some old combat/exploration robot.

Veon got it in working order, I might be able to add in more upgrades, like acid or poison launchers.

They looked at me and said "why...?" the real question is "why not?"

They made it out to be sentient though, it sadly wasn't. One day I'll meet a human-made sentient robot. The glitch don't exactly count.

In lighter news, beat my high score in Gltich Unicorn Attack.

I had a revolt in USCM Prison Simulator... Back to the drawing board there...

Took the CLS course, first round was bleeding treatment. Smokestack and Duskfeather's trial was absolutely horrifying.
    And Mattulip the floran had the bravery to actually cut herself. She lost a lot of sap.

Maybe I can convince Joshua to let me be the "dummy" for some of the other tests. Need to keep it nonchalant though.

5. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

People tell me to get out of the lab. Talk to more people...

People are stupid.

6. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Marigold made me a pneumatic syringe gun before she left.
    I am now capable of delivering needed doses of medicine or poison at long range. This is good.

Started helping with the bar at the Freezer, someone has to. Besides, lets me talk to people without having to be the one to approach them.

Thoughts of the day.
    1. If there is a God, why did he make a fruit who's taste seems to be based on a d20...
    2. How do I get a +20 modifier on said fruit.
    3. Was it or a good day or a bad day for the people of the past when Teamfourstar finally finished DBZ abridged.
    4. Did anyone ever see enough hentai to predict the fall of Earth?
    5. Is there any objective strategic benefit to being a 4'10 albino?

Note: Research anti-depressants.

7. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Met a new guy. Jouka.
    First issue was learning to pronounce his name, I hope I didn't butcher it.

We talked for a while, said he reminded me of his homeland. I also let him take a look at the lab, he seemed impressed. Even kissed my hand as he left, the act is stupid and cliche, but it was charming once my brain started working again.

Actual science stuff.
    Need to work on testing the chemicals, maybe another way to retrieve them, reaching into my sleeve takes too long.

I should go visit mom, get caught up with her.

Thoughts.
    1. Would organic toxins work on a floran?
    2. What about vice versa?
    3. Do any of us truly know what Floran even are?
    4. Why do I always take jobs on cold planets? I have enough problems keeping warm.
    5. If I fell in the snow, would anyone find me with my skin, hair and coat?
    6. I'd make a good spy like that.

#7 Malachar, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2015
  8. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Update.
    Found out why mom wasn't responding. I went to where her ship and datapad were recorded as being, found a settlement of tribal florans.

At one point, I managed to slip off my bindings but wasn't able to hold back the floran "guarding" me. Its teeth were inches from my face before I saw something I never would have thought. An axe going straight through it's skull, the handle connected to Jouka.

Apparently he was one of the only ones to notice I was missing, it took me a few minutes for my life to stop flashing before my eyes.

We got mom and got back out, I ordered a new coat to replace the one I lost during my capture, as well as a translator so I can understand Jouka better.

Started up a little business selling the chemicals I've made, if I can prevent even one person from suffering what I did, it's a success.

I've got a lot to talk to mom about though.

9. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

Research goes well on my new weapon/tool system.
    Arm mounted, versatile, and advanced enough in its inner workings that it would be almost impossible to reverse engineer, let alone for others to make the ammo it needs.

Showed it to Joshua, and he seemed quite impressed, only issue will be training the marines to use it, hopefully none ignore me and blow themselves up.

Jouka hasn't been around much, hope he's okay.

Thoughts.
    Analyzing Avesmingo still eludes me.
    If I was evil, I'd make a deadly evil mastermind.
    I'm surprised no idiots have asked me to create drugs for them.

10. Malachar

Malachar Heir to Madness

[Her journal is now once more kept on her person, in a side pocket to her coat]
    What a long time it's been since I've looked at this. Is anyone mentioned even still alive?
    I came back to the Antares sector to find it.. well, not good. Apparently people have moved deeper into council space.

Visited a colony named Upside, as the other I heard about, Mud, sounded about as appealing as Tetanus Fields did. Though it may possess useful chemicals and other substances just like the old planet of rust and decay did.

I can say one upside of Upside is it isn't as cold as previous areas people have made colonies.

Thoughts,
    Nobody will ever truly understand the Avesmingo.
    I was commissioned to make drugs. I suppose murphys law and jinxing is a testable force.
    Are these tentacle spores a slowly timed universal apocalypse?
    What do people eat in these sectors to grow so tall, and why wasn't I given any of it before the incident?