1. These forums are archived and available in read-only format. No new accounts may be created and content may not be added or edited. This archive is dedicated to hoshiwara.t who tragically passed away in April of 2015. She will be forever missed.

SAY YOUR WORDS AT REZIMA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rezima, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Cole Ombre

Cole Ombre Lurking Admin

I've actually never really gotten any feedback from this, as I've never really thought about it, and I try to play it as fair and clean as I can, but are there any objections to me playing two Ombre brothers? Jace and Cole are brothers, and I do try not to let my thoughts for one affect my thoughts for the other. I have multi-cliented with them before, but never, or, scratch that, only once on the same colony. I have the feeling some people might feel that having two characters like this, brothers, its a perfect excuse to meta-game, one brother telling the other info, which I try -very- hard not to do. Just putting this out there as to anyone at all, not just staff, who may have an issue with playing brothers.

And in a way, I agree with this. I have reviewed some applications, and even remember from my initial startup, that the first time logging in and finding somewhere to RP is difficult. Theres also the idea that in game mechanics dont apply to in character actions. I had a discussion with a joining member, helping him along in Steam chat, and this came up. The idea that armor can be whatever, within limits, you want it to be is a pretty big deal to some people who come from servers where its all in game mechanics, or people new to roleplay completely. That the hylotl armor doesnt have to be interwoven iron fibers all the time but can, in fact, be used as a diving suit, for example, just blew his mind.
    I just think it may be important to notify new players of these things; that dice rolling is not required, armor is not always what it says it is, impervium etc. is not had, those subtle things that experienced players know and that help make RPing easier,as well as fitting in and making sure you don't screw up big time and have everyone yell at you.

Just some thoughts.

2. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

My first time was pretty simple due to me appearing at the right time. My first character joining was Colonel Kong, an reformed Miniknog soldier turned politician. The global chat was particularly noisy over the summer, so I knew pretty quickly to go to New Chicago, the hub at the time. Things have changed now though, and global is used less frequently which I feel is a contributing factor. I feel like the roleplay guide to Antares in the Player section should be updated to help with common issues such as money pulling, armor issues, character issues, etc. Just a refresher to a relatively old guide that some new players look at would be nice.

Also, how do the admins handle colony building? Does it have to be approved first? With the amount of colonies rising, though many having plenty of reason for existing, it concerns me if colony building wasn't regulated.

3. Yotan

Yotan New Member

Instead of Quoting everyone I am simple going to switch back to a conversation I had with Kazyyk before joining the server. When referring to new player acclimation.

I post this during my application process. It is completely from a new person view before the being accepted. I am not going to quote Kazyyk, but he pretty much stated that the server uses the vanilla lore, and that the server was wanting to branch out (just like what Razima said). Which I don't see why. I did ask another question:

I was told it has multiple different interpretations of what Antares is, but it is on the edge of civilized space.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that but some general information should be up front. Like Name, coordinate, planet number, nothing more, and everything else is up to the colony proprietor. Just simple information at a bare minimum.

4. Optimism

Optimism Guest

lolno

I see two terms here: 'clique rp' and 'points of interest'. If you want this vibrant colony, you need very strong 'points of interest' on your colony to override the instinct of 'clique rp'. In other words, players would need to enjoy interacting while being on your colony almost or just as much as they enjoy interacting with the people they like rping with for the best result.

5. Rezima

Rezima New Member

That should be fine, so long as they don't directly interact with each other too much, they are essentially two separate characters. What I was referring to were a few instances I had personally seen where a player was single handedly roleplaying 3-4 family members all at the same time, carrying out entire conversation all by himself.

A slight misconception there, what Fel was referring to was OOC issues, not IC issues. Two player made factions from the past had shaped player opinions of avians and of the USCM faction so much that it had begun to clash wildy with the vanilla lore of both of them. It painted avians as being intolerant religious extremists and the USCM as being xenophobic, gung ho space tough guys. Neither of these is an accurate description of how they are portrayed in the official canon though.

And that is currently how all colonies are set up. If the colony is public, they will have information posted advertising itself to new players, but this is entirely determinant on the colony owner making the colony public, which not all do.

6. Yotan

Yotan New Member

I understand, but if it happened in the server and all the players were decent with it, then why not stated that in this edge of space frontier sector? That yes the avian where intolerant religious extremists, and the USCM were a bunch of xenophobic jar heads. I haven't seen too much new canon lore come out from Chucklefish in some time. Hell most of the Hylotl lore is unfinished. I don't see much of an issue here, sure if Chucklefish adds a bit of Canon lore the conflicts/adjusts with the server lore, simply change it, and announce the changes.

7. Wreth

Wreth New Member

I think the attitudes towards the flightless are quite reasonable personally. The flightless carry out religious ceremonies where they sacrifice unwilling victims to Kluex. Of course in their own eyes this isn't cruel and they just see this as incorporating the souls of all races into their worship. It's correct that they are not xenophobic, but it's also quite reasonable for the other races to dislike them for their sacrificial rituals.

As for the USCM, in the lore the USCM were given specific orders to open their bunkers to alien races, and even possibly recruit them. That has indeed happened on the server. However the reason the USCM are unpopular on the server is because of actions they have taken within the server. If a military faction throws their weight around people are going to get annoyed, especially people of other races who have no reason to feel any loyalty to the United Systems.

If you're an Avian and a squad of human soldiers arrive and act like they own the place then they are basically alien invaders.

Floran have had conflicts with the USCM and the Flightless in the past, so there are lore reasons for mutual dislike there.

8. Rezima

Rezima New Member

9. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

We good then, everyone?

10. Raideck

Raideck Member

Nu I might have future questions

11. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

I more meant if anyone had a beef with us, they'd said something by now, surely?

12. Fen

Fen Pretty ßird

no beef

13. Rezima

Rezima New Member

Excellent! This thread will remain open indefinitely, so if you have any questions or concerns in the future post them here and one of us will respond,

14. Smokestack

Smokestack Bird man with a bird plan

Will resets ever be pushed back to 3 hours? I mean, things seem pretty stable now. I liked that better.

15. Wreth

Wreth New Member

There's apparently been some stability work done for the next update which is relatively soon, so perhaps if things are stable then?

16. Narfball

Narfball narfball

will we be seeing florans return to the server

that's a joke

but no in all seriousness..
    will there ever be an option for players to revert back to an older forum setup?
    i'm using myself as an example here, because i have old-people syndrome with the new setup.
    i struggle with finding simple things because i'm literally braindead. it's probably just me but it seems a tad user unfriendly.
    just... just wanted to point that out
    thx

17. Kazyyk

Kazyyk Administrator

Unfortunately not possible. Forum structure is global. Feedback & Suggestions in the appropriate forum is welcome.

18. Rezima

Rezima New Member

We tinker with that frequently, we try to keep the resets as far apart as possible while still maintaining stability. We would LOVE to go back to 3 hours resets, so hopefully this new patch will help with that!

19. Darkwhip

Darkwhip That Russian-Canadian-Nazi

Did Sen really do that ?

20. Doc

Doc Video Game Extraordinaire

Yeah, he and a large amount of other "veteran" players. This isn't something we should talk about here though.